Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sedona LOVES to eat baseboards, drywall, the deck, anything and everything wood. I have more pics from in my closet and other areas. I just put wire over it right now and will fix it later since we are planning on getting a new pupper in the fall. Hopefully she will not be like her sister! Luckily this area is in the process of remodeling.

If anyone has any pics to share I would love it so I know I am not alone.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to know! She just turned 17 months and I walk around with white vinegar in a spray bottle. She does really well with "leave it" but I have to stay one step ahead of her.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer doesn't, but I have a friend with a lab that ate a hole in the kitchen wall . . . then went to work on the floor. He did this when left alone (they gated him in the kitchen). Eventually they crate trained him and it stopped.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
No, but Frankie ate a big part of my couch. :eek:

Seriously though, is Sedona crated when you can't supervise?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
For what is is worth, the forum taught me about crates. I have also learned the dogs earn their freedoms at different ages, some apparently never. HK won hers at about 15 months.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Remy's thankfully not shown any interest in wall.

Brooklyn however ate 2 holes in the drywall in my kitchen.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
For what is is worth, the forum taught me about crates. I have also learned the dogs earn their freedoms at different ages, some apparently never. HK won hers at about 15 months.
May I be the 4th to chime in in agreement.

My chocolate was in his crate until he was 2 whenever we were not home and he got put back in there after the shredding of a new copy of Rolling Stone and 2 users manuals when he was about 2 1/2. He is out now (largely because I was not gonna buy a second crate for the puppy) and he has been reliable - but he is 3 years old.

IMO - if you leave a Lab out and about when they have shown you once that they like destroying things - then you are asking for whatever result you get.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sedona is always crated when we leave the house and probably always will be. I am home 24/7 and watch her all the time. She is very fast and can destroy things quickly. She has slowed way down on the major destructive tendencies but still likes to try and grab drywall paper when she can. She does get exercise and stimulation, but she just really likes to chew on baseboards. She is crated when the need arises, but for the most part she is a Velcro dog and with me all the time or in the living room relaxing on the leather couch - which I can see her from my bedroom if I am in there. Most of the damage was done as a young puppy, but she still tries from time to time to chew a baseboard that has been previously chewed on if she gets upset about something, like me being on my laptop. Yes, she has a lot of tuff toys to chew on, which she does, and we play in the house during the day so she is running and fetching, etc. and my DH takes her out in the morning and evening when he gets home and they play and she runs and runs. My son also comes over and they play non-stop for a couple of hours at a time.

I do everything right, but my "furry one" has a passion for chewing everything wood. She is disciplined and trained well and gets lots and lots of smoochies and hugs and attention. She does sulk when we have to leave the house, but has a great crate and gets to watch Animal Planet while we are gone. No not spoiled, just incrediably loved.

Thanks for all the response from everyone.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Oh, that looks familiar. I don't have pictures, but I have had several walls chewed and/or pawed through by Toby. Let's not even discuss the windowsills that have been eaten and are now more filler repair material that original wood. And yes, he's been crated and is now 3-1/2 and should know better (he does know better, he just forgets himself sometimes). It has slowed down. But every now and then he still does it, so if/when he's going to completely grow out of it is anyone's guess. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Yes we have a wood--chewer here too. If Milly is left alone unsupervised in our backyard she likes to eat away the outside of our house and our doors. Our garage door has a nice hole in it... from about half an hour left alone. And the laundry door is looking a bit battered also.

I hope she grows out of it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts