Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been one heck of a week first Aubrey's been teething and had an ear infection so we were at the Dr. Tuesday she got amoxicillin for it. She didn't sleep more than a few hours monday, Tues, and Wed nights. Thursday morning she's covered in a rash I figure from the amixicillin since I had a similar reaction to it several years ago. Took her back to the dr. he agreed that it was from the medicine so he gave us a different antibiotic and luckily she slept all night and the rash looks 90% better today. Now I think I might have shingles :( My back was bothering me yesterday I was getting these sharp pains between my shoulder blades off and on. This morning I noticed red rough patches on my back and my back is really achy and I'm still getting those pains. I'm going to the doctor at 12:30. Mainly I'm concerned for Aubrey and if I should be feeding her.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I haven't had them but SU did when he was in Iraq. He was lucky I think and did not have a bad case at all. More like annoying. I've heard the sooner you can start on an anti-viral the better........

Frances

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Oh no! I am so sorry, shingles are NO fun. They will put you on an antiviral and probably even a neuro drug that helps with the pain if it is infact Shingles, which it sounds like. I would be concerned about transmitting the virus to her if she has yet to be given the varicella vaccine.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Yes I had them last year. No fun. And yes they can be contagious. I wasn't allowed to hold my granddaughter until all the lesions healed.
As others have said, the sooner you get to a doctor the better. You can have permanent nerve damage from them if left untreated. My mom had them about 4 years ago and didn't go to the doctor for 3 weeks. By then she was in horrible pain, and was on pain medication for a long, long time.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh man, Barb. :(

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
You may want to consider the shingles vaccine.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I had them on my throat (outside) several years ago. PAINFUL! Caught it really quickly (benefit of working at a medical college) and started on an antiviral med. Shingles (zoster) is a strain of the chicken pox virus.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You may want to consider the shingles vaccine.
I got the vaccine last fall. Definitely recommended for anyone who has had Chicken Pox. My doctor said that the vaccine might not give total protection but it would reduce the severity and length of any outbreak.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have shingles :( They put me on Valtrex which I can take and continue to nurse Aubrey. The doctor told me it was ok to continue feeding (and holding) Aubrey as long as the lesions are covered and stay on my back (where Aubrey won't have any contact with them). She said we caught it really early and the medicine should help pretty quickly. Right now it's not bad I'm just achy and have an occasional sharper pain in my back, more of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I have a question about shingles. I thought it emerged if you did NOT experience chicken pox as a child. That virus just stays in your spinal fluid and incubates until something provokes it to erupt. Is my understanding faulty?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I have a question about shingles. I thought it emerged if you did NOT experience chicken pox as a child. That virus just stays in your spinal fluid and incubates until something provokes it to erupt. Is my understanding faulty?
I believed the opposite - that if you DID have chicken pox the virus stays around and can erupt as shingles when you're an adult.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I had them on my throat (outside) several years ago. PAINFUL! Caught it really quickly (benefit of working at a medical college) and started on an antiviral med. Shingles (zoster) is a strain of the chicken pox virus.
Actually, it is the same virus, called varicella zoster, and is caused by reactivation of the virus in the Dorsal Root Ganglion of nerve endings. It is in the Herpes virus family. Once you get chicken pox, the virus lives in the nerve roots dormant. It can be reactivated at anytime, but usually occurs under high stress, when immunocompromised (sick, underslept, etc.), and in some rarer cases when exposed to someone with an active chickenpox infection.

You need to be careful, because like chickenpox, if your rash begins to ooze, it is actively shedding viruses that can spread the virus causing chickenpox which can be dangerous in a newborn or young infant (as well as older adults). Just be sure not to touch it!

Hope you feel better soon! Shingles is painful, and I hope that you are able to stay on top of the pain if you do indeed have it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Cadey right now the pain isn't too bad although the last few hours it's spread to my left arm (not the leisions just the pain) it's still more of an annoyance pain than full out discomfort. Right now I can barely even reach the leisions so no worry about touching them without knowing it they are in the middle of my back right under my bra. I'll make sure to wash up good after changing that's the only time I might hit them. I hope the medicine starts to work soon and they don't spread much.

I'm sure it was the lack of sleep this week that started it I only got about 4-5 hours of sleep Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wed. nights.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
If the pain gets to bad ask about the patches...mom says she thinks it is called Lidoderm or something like that. She said it worked wonders for her when she had them I have never had shingles.

Hope both you and Aubrey feel better soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts