Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cameron has had a rough couple of weeks. He's now got a terrible cough and is all congested.

Cough medicine is not helping.

It's almost like he has a tickle in his throat that he keeps trying to clear.

We did tea with honey. It didn't seem to do the trick.

Any other ideas? He has not moved off the couch today- well except to raid his easter basket. He takes after his mom- chocolate makes everything better. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Steam! Put him in the bathroom with the door shut and the hot water running on the shower. It always worked for us. :)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Hot water with lemon and honey. It doesn't have the tannins of tea, which can feel drying in the mouth and throat. It may not help that much, but it's at least as good as cough medicine, cheaper, and has healthier ingredients. Steam will also help.

Oh, and chicken broth. That's also soothing.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I would second (or third) the steam recommendation. Also, I've read that a straight spoonful of buckwheat honey does wonders, but haven't tried it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Spoonful of honey, straight. Steam, definitely. Get him to drink all you can, especially hot chicken soup.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I can't remember the brand but they make a numbing cough spray...just a couple sprays and relief! I think it's maybe Chloraseptic? Something like that. It was the only thing that got me through a few weeks ago when I had bronchitis. I too had a tickle that wouldn't go away and the spray soothed it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
If it's "been a couple of weeks" and he is still coughing you need to go to the doctor. I've gone through this several times, always ended up with bronchitis and needed an antibiotic to kick it out. It's nothing to play around with. Please see your family doctor.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I've had bronchitis many times and every time it was viral. I've been prescribed antibiotics every time, too, and not taken them once. Antibiotics are way over-prescribed in these instances. But Aim seems to be a great mom and think she'd take her child to the dr if she thought he needed it and it's a bit presumptuous to imply otherwise.

Aim, they also make a swallowable cough med that worked better for me. If he will swallow a pill (they are gel and really soft/easy to swallow) that might be worth trying, too.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Delsyum I think that is how you spell it. It is fantastic stuff to quiet the cough. Also doctors are recommending mucinex if it is a congested cough.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Allie, I don't think Linda was saying that Aim wasn't a good mother. She was just offering her a suggestion. I, too, suffer from bronchitis because of my asthma. It always takes an antibiotic to get rid of it.
Aim, I get a small flat container, put enough sugar in it to cover the bottom about an 1/8 inch deep, cut an onion in half and put it cut side down on top of the sugar. I then put a lid on the container and refrigerate it until a liquid syrup forms from the sugar and onion juice. Use 1 teaspoon of this to quiet a cough. I find it helps. It sounds like it would taste awful, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Time! I know that is not what you want to hear but I have the same cough and it has been 5 weeks! I saw the Dr and was told "this one hangs around for a while". My DH had it for 6 weeks so....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
As crazy as it sounds, put Vapor Rub on your feet, cover with socks, and go to sleep. I thought my mom was insane when she told me to do that, but I was desperate enough to try it. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If it's "been a couple of weeks" and he is still coughing you need to go to the doctor. I've gone through this several times, always ended up with bronchitis and needed an antibiotic to kick it out. It's nothing to play around with. Please see your family doctor.

No No.. He has only been coughing since Sunday, so when I asked yesterday it was only day 3.

By a rough couple of weeks- he had fifth disease, then the rash that comes with fifth disease. And now this cough.

And he was just at the doctors office last week Thursday. So I do take him to the doctor. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Did you try any of these suggestions, Aim? Anything work?

Poor kid. :(

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry- I meant to say thanks for all the suggestions- but I had to get Kelsey out the door. LOL.

I tried giving him honey yesterday and he wanted no part of that?? What child does not like honey?? Crazy kid.

We did the steam thing last night and that seemed to work well for him.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I dunno. I was never a fan of honey. Something yuck about the texture and thickness of it.

Glad to hear the steam seemed to work! :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He seems much better today. Not coughing nearly as much.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to have to remember the one with the onion and sugar. I've never heard that one before!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts