Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one and it is being delivered on Thursday.

Do you like yours? Is 4.0 cf big enough I currently have a traditional washer that is extra large. Do you have a problem with mold or a smell?

I got mine from Home Depot. It has 10 cycles which is way more than I will use. I paid $959 and that includes a 3 year extended warranty.

I also bought a new 7.3 dryer that was on clearance from Maytag last week it was a killer deal but Consumer Reports hated the washer so I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the LG and LOVE it! I will never go back to the older washer/dryers. lol
You do you have leave the door open and clean it out or it will smell. I also have
a thing that pulls out where my degerant goes and I leave that pulled out or it will get moldy in there too. Otherwise about twice a month I run it on the sanitery cycle with bleech and have had no problems.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Last year I got a Frigidaire High Efficiency (HE) Energy Star frontloader that replaced my old, 2nd hand, loyal top loading Maytag that had served me faithfully for many years. Probably not as efficient as the LG but bought it at a really great price from Lowes and Consumer Report rated it about average.

I loved that Maytag and especially its cleanable filter in the center of its tub that was great in collecting gobs of Lab hair, lint, etc. And loved that (after it started) I could keep adding overlooked items that should've been in from the very beginning. And that I could keep altering the length of any cycle while it was running that cycle.

My Frigidaire front loader doesn't have an efficient filter system -- it just pumps the water (with hair & lint) from each cycle out into my home's drain (risking a buildup of fur and clogged pipes) so I jury rigged a filter system out of tulle or fine cloth mesh from a fabric store that I should remember to purge every 4 or 5 loads before it automatically reminds me by backing up and flooding the utility room. But at least that keeps my drain pipes from getting clogged -- or delays that coming RotoRooter day.

I haven't really solved the adding of forgotten items -- I do more thoroughly search but always end up finding things like a sock under the bed, skivvies someplace else, bedding I should've added, etc., which just have to wait their turn until next time.

Oh, and the front loaders usually take a different HE detergent, MUCH more concentrated than the old stuff I was used to using. A normal amount of the new HE detergent is half the former amount making it more difficult to measure precisely. I've adapted to that by using the much larger container from an old Tide laundry detergent, pouring the new HE Tide into that and then diluting it with an equal amount of water so I can keep adding the amounts I'm used to.

Other than those things, I think front loaders may be okay and probably save lots of water and energy.

They do extract more water than top loaders in their final spin cycle.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I always wonder if the life cycle of a lab owner's washer dryer is shorter than the average.. i mean.. how much fur can a machine take before it dies?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have an LG Tromm set, both washer and dryer. I've had it for nearly 2 years now and really like it. You can use non-HE washing liquid or powder, just a smaller amount (about 2 tablespoons). I also use vinegar in the slot for fabric softener. I'm not sure how big mine is, but it's plenty big for a king sized bulky blanket.

It's VERY important to leave the door open between washes to let it dry out, or else you will get a musty smell. Some people do an empty vinegar rinse cycle to combat the smell, but I've never had to do that.

My dog hair collects in the seal area....I wipe it out after washes and dog hair hasn't been a problem.

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
Thats a good idea on leavin the door open Allie . Never thought of that one . Cause washers def get musty/stinky after a while . lol

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have the LG Tromm front loader. When we first got it, I had a lot of problems with it. I ended up being on a first name basis with the repair people. I will say that their customer service dept. did extend the 1-year warranty for me to have additional repair work done. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with it in the last year and a half or so.

It does get smelly if you don't leave the door open, like others have said. Overall I am satisfied with it now, but would not buy another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts