Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its getting hot and i think ginger would enjoy swimming more often. the closet area for ginger to swim is 45 minutes (one way) away. we're not pool people so getting an in-ground pool just for the dogs would be a little crazy. so i'm wondering if anyone has either the easy set or metal frame pool? how has it lasted with dogs swimming in it? we would build a deck around it so they could easily get out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Our house came with a 4' deep x 27' above ground metal frame pool surrounded by a deck. Jack entered the pool on his own by using the pool ladder and got out the same way. The only time he has not used the ladder going in is when he got too close to the edge, lost his balance and fell in. He always uses the ladder to get out.

Notice his back feet on the second step.

Before we moved to Virginia, we had one of these:

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I have an above ground pool. It came with the house. I taught Rider to climb out of the ladder. He is also not allowed to swim near the edges or the liner. We rinse him off so that the chlorine doesn't mess with his skin or coat when he's done.

The only thing that sucks is keeping the filter fur free....otherwise, I love it and so does Rider.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote author=rushpuppy link=topic=45174.msg541050#msg541050 date=1178475014]
I usually get my girls a hard plastic kiddie pool, they can't swim but they sure get wet!!
[/quote]

ginger has a kiddie pool and its still hot for her. its almost 90 now with high humidty. but thanks for posting pictures i will look into it more. i didnt think they would use the ladder but it looks like they do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an above ground pool my house and my dogs love it! I always make sure that I am around when my dog is in the pool though. I treat my lab like a child. You can start out with a kiddie pool to see if they like getting in the water first though.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I got one for Erns about 4 years ago for his hips. We have so much water around so not many people have swimming pools let alone one for their dog so was a bit of a novelty at first.
Very Kiwi made ramp and platform. lol.

Full view. It is a best way. We put it on a platform with foam under it. Most people don't, but when I dug the lawn up there were little stones and didn't want them making holes.

He likes to drag things into the pool then take them out.

The first last about maybe 2 years and got a hole in it then the metal started to rust.

ETA.There is no deck around his pool as it is for him and I hope he is here for many years to come, but once he goes so will the pool and lawn be put back.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I have the same as Ernie for my kids - I got a set of steps off craigs list - and they can climb the ladder out - steps in - DO IT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kassabella --

That ramp you pictured for Erns -- I NEED ONE OF THOSE! I'm really curious about it. I have an above-ground pool just like that, with just a frame like that, and I'm SOOOO curious how that ramp's platform is supporting the weight of the dog without crushing the pool and/or getting off balance? You said "Very Kiwi" made the ramp... Who/What is that???

I've got a giant breed - he's a Saint Bernard X Great Dane. He's got really funky joints, 2 elbow surgeries, etc. I need to get him in and out of my above ground pool. Something like that would be PERFECT. I could build it, but I'm not sure how it's working like that without damaging the pool or simply falling into the water??

If you could get back to me I would appreciate it SOOOO much.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Kassabella --

That ramp you pictured for Erns -- I NEED ONE OF THOSE! I'm really curious about it. I have an above-ground pool just like that, with just a frame like that, and I'm SOOOO curious how that ramp's platform is supporting the weight of the dog without crushing the pool and/or getting off balance? You said "Very Kiwi" made the ramp... Who/What is that???

I've got a giant breed - he's a Saint Bernard X Great Dane. He's got really funky joints, 2 elbow surgeries, etc. I need to get him in and out of my above ground pool. Something like that would be PERFECT. I could build it, but I'm not sure how it's working like that without damaging the pool or simply falling into the water??

If you could get back to me I would appreciate it SOOOO much.

Thank you!!!
Jenny as Sharon said. Sorry. I sometimes forget and use my terms for things. When things are put together without plans or off the top of your head we call it Kiwi made. This means it might last, might not, or might not work at all. (took 3 alterations before it worked)

A block of 4x4 is attached under the ramp. This sits flush against the pool and the platform is bolted to the 4x4 on the pool side. I don't know if you know 4x4 timber or what you call it.
Didn't cost anything as I used bits from around the yard.
Pics might explain it better, but I am at work so will get you pics later.

The pool came with a ladder, but Erns wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to see some more pictures of it. We're going to try to build one for Dino. Might work, might not - he probably weighs 2X what Erns does! But it's worth a shot!
You can email me, if you'd prefer: [email protected]

Thanks SO much!
~ Jenny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts