Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Health Section but wasn't having much luck in getting a reply....thought I'd cross-post in this section!

Bev.

I have tried to keep this short but as usual, couldn't - sorry!

Cooper has been diagnosed with Periodontal disease.  It is so advanced, the vet has scheduled him for surgery on Wednesday to remove a tooth that is apparently hanging on by a thread.  His gums are a mess.  And I am so choked, I could choke the vet.  Since taking him to this clinic when we moved to Ottawa Sept 2005, I have asked on each visit to check his teeth, etc because of his offensive breath.  We have been there on two occasions for his usual check up & vaccinations, the last being April 25th.  The vet specifically asked if I still had concerns over Cooper's breath and I told her nothing had changed, it would still strip paint.  She looked and said everything looked fine except for the odd chip but felt that was not a problem.  She suggested some dog chews that might assist in keeping his teeth clean.  There were no rotten teeth and with the exception of some brownness on the one side (he tends to chew things on one side - another reason why we always asked for his teeth to be checked), all looked well to her.

On Tuesday a.m. at about 430, I got up as usual and while getting ready to walk Cooper, I heard a whimper from downstairs.  Cooper never does this - NEVER.  I went down to the main floor and when I flipped on the light, immediately noticed that Cooper's head was swollen and he was covered with lumps.  What a mess and the reason for his whine, I think, was because he was scared of what was going on.  He looked awful.  Dwayne (hubby) took him to the clinic as soon as it opened and had to see a different vet.  She diagnosed Cooper as having a reaction to an insect bite and prescribed Benadryl (I am still puzzled by that - never did find the offending insect...perhaps he ate it!) .  It worked and within a few hours, the swelling and lumps were gone.  However, she checked him over and immediately commented on his gums.  She showed Dwayne that only the slightest touch on his gums would produce blood and showed him where the gums have receded to the point one tooth's roots are showing.  It is a small tooth at the front.  So....this Wednesday he is scheduled for a tooth extraction, x-rays, teeth cleaning, fluoride treatment, blah, blah, blah.  The grand total is going to be anywhere from $679.46 and $789.70 Cdn.  Oh!  But we get a "complimentary nail trim" during all of this.  How generous of them.

All of this to say/ask - is it possible that the periodontal disease could have developed to this stage in roughly 6 months, or did the other vet not do a thorough enough check?  And the price - is this "the norm"?  The estimate they provided includes all the meds - pre & post-op and the procedures.  As was pointed out by a co-worker of my husband, we are a vet's dream client: dual income, no kids therefore will spend anything on our dog!  Dwayne and I have been discussing how we are going to deal with this on Wednesday and I think he's going to drop Cooper off in the a.m. and we will go together to pick him up at 6 pm.  Honestly, I do not want to set foot in there because I think my temper may get the best of me.  This "complimentary" nail clipping just irks me - how about a discount on the total bill, seeing as we have asked each time about his teeth and have been assured all was well.  I am just having a really difficult time in believing that Cooper's gums deteriorated to this degree in less than 6 months. 

Once again I have been long-winded - I am sorry.  But it feels good to vent and if anyone has any experience with this type of health problem with their Lab, I'd love to hear about it.  I am scared about Cooper being sedated on Wednesday as well....  :'(

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I don't believe that all of that damage developed in 6 months. Periodontal disease is due to the build up bacteria in the form of plaque, that builds up and causes inflammation. They say most dogs over the age of 5 have some form of periodontal disease. So there is no way things got that bad with your guy in 6 months. I'd be a little upset too.
And [email protected] the complimentary nail trim lol.

To have the dogs teeth just cleaned, no periodontal intervention, is about 300$ around here. So that price doesnt totally shock me. They are going to do a lot of work. Crazy isnt it? ::)

And that's why Emma and Aidan BOTH got their teeth brushed tonight! What a trip that was, but i wont hijack your thread. Best of luck with the surgery on Wednesday and I would certainly ASK why you were given the all clear so many times. I mean bad breath is the #1 sign of periodontal disease. How could she miss it if it's obviously a pretty serious case? Id be concerned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts