Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a back molar break back in the 80's from biting into an almond...The Denitist cemented it back together and for nearly 18 years or more the tooth seemed ok...........Last year I was told a cap/crown was needed which I had put on.........since then I have pain when chewing food. Went to the Dentist again this past Friday, and my bite was adjusted..........after X-rays the nerve and pulp looked fine.........why so much pain? I need a crown on the other side but am putting it off, for if I have pain like I do on the left side how on earth will I eat?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
It sounds like the crown is not fitted properly and is exerting pressure on the next tooth when you chew on it. I had that problem with a crown years ago, and the dentist had to replace it. It was his fault, he had not fitted it properly.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sometimes the crown could be too high in parts. If that is the case, all they need to do is file it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing, I am new to the world of crowns. Nothing is ever simple......lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just had a new one put on 2 weeks ago. I love the way they take molds now.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was at the Dentists Friday, she did grind it down, but last night as I bit into some meat I felt the nerve pain again........maybe it just needs some time to tame down....keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sounds like the crown is fitting improperly, like Jackie said. When I was fitting for mine, my dentist had me constantly chew on this piece of transfer paper type thing to check the bite, etc. You should not have pain from chewing. My tooth was sensitive to temperature for a couple weeks, but my last one was like that and then no problems. I had no pain with chewing. I made sure of that since my dentist is in California and I live in Oregon. :p

·
Registered
927 Posts
It should subside in a couple days if the bite was adjusted. It can be sensitive for a while because there was too much pressure and now that it has been adjusted, give it a couple days. Try to chew on the other side until the tooth has a chance to calm down.

Ginny

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sounds like you may end up needed a root canal. If the tooth had been cracked all those years, and now with the new crown it's giving you pain, my bet is that there is a problem in the root.

I had a tooth with a large filling in it that was painful like that, until it finally really blew and I could not bite on it at all. X-rays did not show anything wrong with the root, but once the dentist got in there, indeed, it has inflammation and some pus and he did the root canal. After that it was fine.

I hope your tooth starts to feel better. I have six crowns and never had any pain with them after they were crowned.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
omg this tooth talk makes me queasy. I hope you fix your crown issue!!! it must be awful to be in pain like that :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts