Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a second dog. I had never considered anything other than a lab until recently. A friend has a very nice BC. I know somewhat of that breed but I also know they are a lot of work.
I think my main question is the compatibility of the two such different breeds. I am interested, curious if anyone has a lab and BC?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Not together no but seperate yes. I had one when I lived with my parents, I did alot of training with with, alot of exercise but he was still mental and hyper. Brain activity he needed as the other things werent enough. I believe if you have time to find him a job they are great dogs

·
Registered
386 Posts
I see and train with alot of border collies. To me they are very intense. I have been told that there is alot of OCD in the border collie breeding lines. I have an aussie and I love her focus and work ethic. She is also very affectionate and rule oriented. To her everything is black and white. When we do therapy work at the hospital she understands the routine. She likes to make everything work. When we go up or down the stairs she anticipates when I am going to stop mid flight of stair. She began the game and now we play it regularly. She herds my labs. If they are naughty se tells on them. She rounds them up into a line and herds them back to me. Herding dogs need a job. One that allows them to expend alot of energy. My aussie participates in dog agility, we train daily and we play lots of chuck it. Her energy level and stamina far exceeds my labs (I have 3). When throwing the ball all my dogs run to fetch, you can see them all run as fast as they can, and all about the same speed. Then my aussie breaks away and leaves them in the dust. She is fast. She needs much more exercise and mental stimulation. However, that said if you can provide that, I have never had a more intense bond with a dog before. She loves and adores me (the feeling is mutual). Everyone outside of the family is "ok" but does not require any special attention unless she feels that they pose a threat to me then she will move into them, while on leash and gently herd them away. My labs can find her annoying. She is the fun police and they are free spirits. Good luck with your you dog search. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kaznalf and Agilitymom.
That is what I am aware of- (by reading not experience), that they need a lot of work daily. But that is such a subjective description- i.e. I think I do a lot daily, but that is might be my perspective and not from there and I will be in for a big surprise... and one for which I may not truly want. I would like to work with one and have one over to the house for a couple weeks to evaluate before taking the plunge.

Agilitymom, how is the interrelationship between your aussie and any of your labs? Is it anything like a typical one of two labs? My highest criteria will be that my lab Tiegan is not displaced in our home, she is only 13 months now and I want to continue to build our bond without any risk of her feeling pushed off. Our relationship is good, but not as strong as I want. She is wonderful w/ other dogs- other dogs that are reactive to another dog Tiegan emits calm behavior time and time again, along the same lines that Turid Rugas describes about her dogs in her book: "On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals".

Cheers and thanks for the advice,

Doug & Tiegan, CGC

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have also hear that the temperament is very different in the show lines and the working lines. The show lines tend to be less obsessive. Still an energetic breed but no so intense. It also seems to me the ones I have known from hard working lines can have more issues - dog aggression, food/object aggression, OCD, separation anxiety..... but that is mostly because they are not challenged enough.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I don't have a bc but I live with a pretty intense mixed breed with some very bc behaviours ...

she is a little more "joyful" then the bcs I have known - she certainly celebrates life with vigour but she is obsessive and BUSY

she creates work for herself and makes us laugh daily

living with Sally has taught me (I think) that a border collie is NOT on my list of dogs to choose to live with at the moment

she is SO TRAINABLE though - sometimes it's tempting

·
Registered
386 Posts
My aussie prefers me to everything including food. What a surprise after having three labs ;) She likes one of the labs in particular but, in general does not pair up like the others do. She does herd them and keeps them in line. She reinforces my rules. When I am eating she is laying under the table and if one of the labs tries to get too close she herds them away (3ft) and lays back down. My relationship with her is the most intense I have ever had. She is focused totally on me. She likes my daughter and husband. But it is me that she is attached to. My chocolate girl Maddison has dealt with this and I make special one on one time for her. She is the lab that is most bonded with me because we do agility together. There was an adjustment period. I have to say all the border collies I know are much more intense than my aussie. My friends border is very calm. However, each day they retrieve several times, there are walks and obedience and agility training. She trials most every weekend. Did I mention that he herds also? I believe sheep. I love the personality of a herding dog. The aussies to me are softer and more likely to have an off switch. My girl is from both stock bred parents. There are lots of border collies in rescue. Maybe you could foster one and see if it is the type of dog for you. If it works out you could adopt ;) Let us know what you decide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.