Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did it cost roughly? I understand they do it by the # of vents/ducts you have? Did they have to cut any holes anywhere to access anything? How long did it take?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
My neighbor just had it done recently. They did cut a hole in the side of her furnace. That would freak me out. I've never heard of anyone having to do that. But she was happy with the job they did. I don't know how much it cost.

Sears does them. You can also call around and get estimates. And then you can tell me the prices. LOL. We need to get ours done too.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've done it myself...once. I did it when we were remodeling and it seemed like a good idea at he time. I will pay to have it done in the future.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Not to scare anybody off, but I have a couple of friends that are HVAC professionals. They tell me duct cleaning is a waste. Just make sure your furnance filters are clean and replaced regularly

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hunter said:
Not to scare anybody off, but I have a couple of friends that are HVAC professionals. They tell me duct cleaning is a waste. Just make sure your furnance filters are clean and replaced regularly
Really? That is totally interesting. Why is that? I always thought duct cleaning would get rid of any "build up" there was inside the ducts? I guess there's no build up then?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Hunter said:
Sure, now you tell me! I'll strike duct cleaning off my tudo list!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I've heard getting them cleaned is ok, as long as they don't spray anything in your ducts.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aim said:
I've heard getting them cleaned is ok, as long as they don't spray anything in your ducts.
Ya, I was just on a website that offered spraying stuff in there while they were cleaning..... That seemed odd to me....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
Hunter said:
Really? That is totally interesting. Why is that? I always thought duct cleaning would get rid of any "build up" there was inside the ducts? I guess there's no build up then?
If you have forced air, which you most likely do. Then there should not be a build up, after all the fan will be forcing any dust particles or hair in the duct out the vents. You will get a small build up of crap at the vents, but you can clean this with the vacume hose.

If you keep your filter clean and replace it monthly, then you should not have a problem. This is just what I have been told by a couple of HVAC guys, so there is no way I am an expert on this, but to me I think it is a waste.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We had ours done several years ago. There was a great deal of build-up in ours, which we knew about beforehand. They charge by the square footage and number of floors, so it will vary. You will need to get estimates. Once it is done you can keep them clean by replacing filters often.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Hunter said:
We're general contractors and I've asked our HVAC subs this question. (Actually I was looking for a freebie.) He actually laughed at me. Change your filter and don't worry about it. He told me that it's a lot of companies trying to make a buck off of people's ignorance about their systems. If enough companies tell you that you need it, eventually you will believe you do. It's a little like Jiffy Lube telling you to change your oil every 3000 miles. If you look in your car manual you'll see it probably says between 5000 and 7500. Just another pr campaign to get you to spend your money for no reason.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Hunter said:
If you have forced air, which you most likely do. Then there should not be a build up, after all the fan will be forcing any dust particles or hair in the duct out the vents. You will get a small build up of crap at the vents, but you can clean this with the vacume hose.

If you keep your filter clean and replace it monthly, then you should not have a problem. This is just what I have been told by a couple of HVAC guys, so there is no way I am an expert on this, but to me I think it is a waste.
There was quite the build up in my ducts, but I don't think the previous owners did much maintenance as far as filters and vacuuming.They were probably never touched since they were installed. I also had gutted every room in the house and no matter how much care was taken dust and debris gets everywhere.
This fall I had to re-route a return duct and I was surprized on how clean it stayed. It's not that difficult to take a duct apart. If there is any question, a quick peek would tell you.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hunter said:
I could not agree more!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys!! I'm gonna shop vac as far up/down the vents as I can shove my fat arm, and call it duct cleaning! Whoo!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
Thanks guys!! I'm gonna shop vac as far up/down the vents as I can shove my fat arm, and call it duct cleaning! Whoo!
LOL; well, mine is being forced out okay, as I can see it hanging on the the vent where I need to vac it off! I'm obsessed with filter changing...in fact, I've had huge disagreements with SU over changing filters, so hopefully, we're okay! Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts