Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me if the vaccine should be intramuscular or subcutaneous? Or maybe it will tell me on the bottle? I can't remember and my aunt needs me to vaccinate a sick cat for her...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Are you vaccinating or treating an illness??

I don't think vaccinations should be given to an already compromised system.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be for treating an illness. I have googled it but am having a hard time finding results for cats.

I have treated sick animals with penicillin before, but they were dogs and horses, never cats.... and it was so long ago I can't remmeber anything...

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I had to give anitbiotics to my cat once, but it was drops, by mouth. It was not pleasant. My husband had to hold him with his welding gloves on. But it was Ivan, my wild child. He didn't like being messed with on a good day.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would give the vet a call - I have given penicillin to cats orally or through an IV, but never subcutaneously. I would think it depends on what you're treating tho.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
joflake said:
I had to give anitbiotics to my cat once, but it was drops, by mouth. It was not pleasant. My husband had to hold him with his welding gloves on. But it was Ivan, my wild child. He didn't like being messed with on a good day.
I was a vet tech for several years and often said I would rather handle a 100 pound mean dog over a 7 pound mean cat!

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Belles mom said:
joflake said:
I was a vet tech for several years and often said I would rather handle a 100 pound mean dog over a 7 pound mean cat!
My sis is a vt and she says the SAME thing!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
shouldn't the vet who gave you the antibiotics told you how they wanted them administered?

vaccines are NOT penicillin (I know you know but just saying it out loudly clearly for anybody who might read the board)

here you could get in serious trouble for giving antibiotics without vet counsel - it is illegal to practise vet medicine without a license

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by: conrad

vaccines are NOT penicillin (I know you know but just saying it out loudly clearly for anybody who might read the board)
Ahh yes, I shouldn't have said vaccinate, that was a brain fart on my part. What I should have said is, My aunts cat needs a penicillin shot because he has an infection. The vet was going to charge my aunt $80.00 for one shot of penicillin, so I told her if she would buy the penicillin (which costs considerably less at the local feed store) i would give the cat the shot, since I have done it before. She is really strapped for funds right now, and I agreed to do it as a favor because she had already talked to the vet. I just can't remember where to put penicillin, in the muscle or under the skin....

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Most penicillin shots are given in muscle.

Most cats get amoxycillin as an oral liquid. I've had cats many years, never gave one a shot, alway the oral liquid.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
well I'd call the clinic and ask - I have never ever given an injectable antibiotic to a cat
with the horses and goats I have done this to I have used a large muscle (rump) and gone quite deep but there can be serious side effects which could end up costing a LOT more than the $80
nice of you to try to help your aunt ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts