Just Labradors banner

Anyone Flyfish?

254 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  YellowJakesMom 
#1 ·
One of my colleagues is a coach for the National Women's Flyfishing team, so he took me and my best friend out on Saturday. We drove about an hour and a half from London to Fergus, Ontario which is a cute town near/on the Grand River. For the first hour we stood in the water getting theory and casting lessons before we were able to hook up a fly and get going. The weather was beautiful but quite windy which made casting a challenge. The river itself seemed to be devoid of any fish - our guide couldn't get over it, never having experienced so little action. Regardless, we had a great day and spent the time practising casts and just really enjoying nature; the rushing river, birds, rustling leaves ... the kind of simple pleasures that sound hokey but are often overlooked and quite powerful when you get the chance to stop and experience them. We caught two minnow-sized Chubb :) and I am totally addicted to flyfishing!!

Anyone else flyfish? Any good stories?

#4 ·
I live right on the river and it's stocked weekly with trout. There are always tons of fisherman on our road. I've done it a couple of times and was pretty good at it, as far as technique. Never caught anything though.

#5 ·
I live right on the river and it's stocked weekly with trout. There are always tons of fisherman on our road. I've done it a couple of times and was pretty good at it, as far as technique. Never caught anything though.
Right on the river? Stocked weekly?!? *Insert jealousy emoticon here* Hubby and I are dreaming about a house like that ... hopefully in a few years ... :)

I wanted to catch something but was also a little freaked about it, my husband kept saying 'it's sooo different than catching a fish on a regular line!' so I had visions of me falling face first and being dragged down the river ... lol.

#6 ·
Yep. Right on the river. Here's a pic of my driveway when we had the flood a month ago. The water is normally behind that bench that you can see. :eek:

#7 ·
I live along a beautiful trout stream. The water is still moving fast and is still very cold, so it's been spin casting (little phoebe and worm). Later this month it's fly fishing time. I don't fish as long as I used to, but more often. I sometimes fish for just an hour or so. If that makes sense.

#8 ·
I love fly fishing, although I don't get out as much as I used to. I also tie my own flies. Have done since I was a teenager. Growing up in the Okanagan, most of my fishing was on lakes. I prefer the dry fly to wet. I think I even have my old belly boat somewhere.

#9 ·
Yep. Right on the river. Here's a pic of my driveway when we had the flood a month ago. The water is normally behind that bench that you can see.
:eek:

Amy OMG! Your dogs must living so close to the water though, my Tuck would never be dry!

Cam - depending on how serious I get with this new hobby I would love to tie my own flies too! I first have to learn how to put on a leader properly though .... :)

#12 ·
John flyfishes, Jake and I scare away the trout ;)

He loves it when he has time, and I find relaxing on the banks watching to be fun as well. We're going to MT this summer and he'll fish again there (we went two years ago as well). I hope you enjoy it, what a great teacher you must've had, I'm sure John would be jealous!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.