Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shane and I tried it last night. He gave me a book for our anniversary one year on how to do all of the different varieties, and it gave the best recipes for preparing the sticky rice, and even info on how to filet the fish. I was actually impressed with how it turned out. We made enough Philly and Spicy tuna rolls to feed a small army though, so we will be eating some more tonight as well.

Anyone else on here make suchi at home? If so, I would love to hear some recipes for the rolls so I can try some new ones :p

·
Registered
456 Posts
I haven't tried it, but we have friends that do, sometimes for parties. I think the key is to make sure you are getting sushi grade fish.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
*hurl*

I would like to know how to make that sticky rice though, that stuff is awesome!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have a book but refuse to do it myself. I'm a sushi snob and it's just not going to match the quality of the stuff you can get in a good sushi restaurant. :p

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Oh good for you! I have a kit at home but haven't used it yet. Hmmm....I have friends coming this weekend who love sushi...that might be a fun project for us!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! I am a TOTAL sushi snob, but I would have to say that my philly rolls were better than most I have had out! I was very surprised. I agree, the quality of the fish is very important. I picked some up at an asian specialty market, and they were flash frozen,sashimi salmon and tuna filets. We thought the meat was great, and I am always a little skeptical about that kind of thing.

Amy, the sticky rice is easy! I had never made it before, and it turned out perfectly. I can send you the recipe if you would like, with the recipe for seasoning it (which makes it delicious for any dish, not just sushi). You just have to buy the short grain sushi rice, as it won't work with any other variety. I saw it at our supermarket.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yes! Send it please! :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We tried it once but the rice stuck to my husbands hands so bad.
I that same problem, until Shane (who luckily read this part in the book) that you need to dip your fingers in rice vinegar water (3 Tbsp of rice vinegar, 1/2 cup of water) to keep the rice from sticking. You also have to dip the knife used to cut the rolls in it to keep that from sticking too. :rolleyes:

That sticky rice does NOT kid around!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Melissa, I really think the most difficult part is the rice. That is what I hear more people complaining about! You should give it a try, it was really a lot of fun, and after a while, I felt like it was actually easy :)

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Oooh I want your recipe for the sticky rice!! :D

I've made it a couple of times and even have the bamboo thing to help roll them up. I LOVE making them inside out with the rice on the outside and I put the toasted sesame seeds on them.

I am a HUGE avocado fan, so I like to make them with just avocado.I know real crab is more expensive, but it's soooo much better than the imitation crab that's used in the California rolls.

The best place around me (my favorite restaurant) to get sushi is kind of an American twist on sushi and has a LOT more than any other sushi restaurant around because some of them have sauces and special garnishes. Soooo good. I want it nowww!! ;) My favorite is all raw - basic tuna roll topped with different pieces of other fish... but it has a ginger sauce that is TO. DIE. FOR. Nom nom nom.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooh I want your recipe for the sticky rice!! :D

I've made it a couple of times and even have the bamboo thing to help roll them up. I LOVE making them inside out with the rice on the outside and I put the toasted sesame seeds on them.

I am a HUGE avocado fan, so I like to make them with just avocado.I know real crab is more expensive, but it's soooo much better than the imitation crab that's used in the California rolls.

The best place around me (my favorite restaurant) to get sushi is kind of an American twist on sushi and has a LOT more than any other sushi restaurant around because some of them have sauces and special garnishes. Soooo good. I want it nowww!! ;) My favorite is all raw - basic tuna roll topped with different pieces of other fish... but it has a ginger sauce that is TO. DIE. FOR. Nom nom nom.
Spicy tuna maki is my fav too! Justine, I will PM the recipe to you. It is really delicious! We made inside out rolls, as I don't like the regular maki as much, and I was suprised that it really isn't that complicated.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
According to my book, the simple definition of suhi is "vinegared rice with a filling or topping of raw, cooked, or marinated fish, shellfish, vegetables or egg."

Maki is a specific variety.
In Japan, sushi is just the rice. Maki, of which there are many varieties, is the roll that North Americans very commonly refer to as Sushi. The BC Roll is one of my favorites, it has barbequed salmon skin and roe.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In Japan, sushi is just the rice. Maki, of which there are many varieties, is the roll that North Americans very commonly refer to as Sushi. The BC Roll is one of my favorites, it has barbequed salmon skin and roe.
Ah! Gotcha ;) Good thing I don't live in Japan.

The BC Roll sounds good! I don't think I have ever tried that one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts