Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shane and I are getting ready to lay a sprinkler system in our backyard so that we can put down some sod and finish the remaining landscaping. We have done everything ourselves up until this point, but are wondering if we are getting in over our heads now that it is time for the sprinkler system.

We are wondering if we would be better off having it professionally done at this point...and then continuing the work as planned. Any of you here ever laid your own sprinkler or watering system?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Putting it in is not to bad if you have a water source easily accessible.

Rent a trencher it is not worth digging by hand.

Home Depot and Lowes both have classes in how to do it...check the list by the enterance.

All you have to do is plot it out and make sure your heads over lap some so the whole lawn gets covered. They help you figure this out in class.

We did the front yard ourselves but had the backyard done as it has a pool but no easy source of water and my BR didn't want to mess it up (he's a plumber).

Oh and a timer is a must...ours waters at 4am and 4:15am as we have 2 zones as Cinnamon attacks the sprinklers and bites them off if they are on when she is outside. Plus water pressure is better early in the morning. In the winter we move it to 6:30 and 6:45.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
We did ours and it wasn't too hard. Make sure you use the right size pipe - Home Depot gave us the wrong info - and good water pressure or, like us, you will have to use a pump.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Shane and I went to home depot last night and picked up some information on DIY watering systems. It just seems like there may be so much more involved, from measuring the water pressure to calculating the right diameter of pipe to get the optimal flow. We are also having a contractor that is a friend of the family's come out, and he said he would take measurements and get several different quotes for us.

I think it would be fun to do ourselves. Maybe I will look into one of those classes at Lowes or Home Depot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts