Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kansas University -- the FIRST college ever, anywhere to have a basketball team (it was started and coached by Dr. Naismith, a Canadian physician who invented basketball) -- just survived a really tough North Dakota State team, 84-74. I'll be surprised & VERY pleased if they can get by West Virginia (my pick to win the game beng played right now) on Sunday -- while KU won the nat'l championsip last year, only 2 of their present roster had any minutes in that game and they're both sophomores. It would be great if they can beat coach Huggins and his Mountaineers and advance to the Sweet 16. It would be wonderful training and experience for such a young team. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawks --- K-U-u-u!"

Oklahoma State, another Big 12 team, barely squeaked by Tennessee on a last second shot. I thought they'd have far less problem than that.

The Missouri Tigers, one of my alma maters & another Big 12 mbr, plays Cornell in a few minutes, and should have no problem destroying them. The Texas Longhorns also have the talent and skill to go far, possibly as far as Missouri or--with great breaks -- as far as even Oklahoma (although I see them as about the = of Kansas).

I think Oklahoma & Texas A&M (both Big 12) will also advance (although OU probably much farther).

IMO, OU can make it to the Final Four as long as someone doesn't use injury to knock out Blake Griffins (best bsktball player in the nation) in their remaining games.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharon/BigBrownDog said:
apparently not!
Yep! That surprised me; I thought there'd be at least a few hoops fans here.

And KU won't face Huggins & WVa as I'd (& most others) expected -- Dayton upset them so KU plays a hot Dayton on Sunday. Should be a good game, though, almost equal records.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm waiting for Wake Forest to choke tonight as always ... I'd like UNC to win since it's TH's last season. However, I'd be happy with pretty much anyone as long as it's not Duke!

I didn't even fill out a bracket this year though, two exams next week so I can't watch much TV at all - and especially not worry about basketball ;)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!! I'm exhausted!

Some really tight, great games this afternoon and evening!! Texas almost beat Duke, Western Kentucky almost beat Gonzaga. Oklahoma won, Texas A&M got steamrollered by UConn.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
My husband did. :)

I, however, walked to my neighbor's house and drank wine, talked Hollywood gossip, and exchanged recipes. :D:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
March Madness...my favorite time of year!! Of course, last year was the BEST watching Davidson College's amazing run!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Thursday - Sunday, especially during the first week of the tournament, are probably my least productive days of the year.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I can't watch much because of my work schedule, but I went to see two of the women's tournament games last night. We were rooting (of course) for San Diego State (SU & daughter #1 are alums) and it was a great game. They beat DePaul in a close game. We stayed for the first half of the second game - Stanford vs UCSB (Santa Barbara). That game wasn't much fun for anyone - it was a huge blowout. SDSU will have their hands full with Stanford on Monday night.

This is a fun time of year if you are a basketball fan.

Edited to add:
And what is with the pep bands - it's a contest of who can play the most tunes from the 70's. I heard Low Rider, Heartbreaker, Jungle Boogie plus a lot more that I can't remember. It was all four bands too, so it is seemed to be a trend. The funniest band was Stanford's - they incorporated the chorus of the UCSB fight song (which is unfortunately "Ole, Ole, Ole") into the middle of a song that they were playing. I think that only the music geeks noticed, but I thought that it was funny.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whew!!

Game just over -- KU (Kansas U) 60 - Dayton, OH 43 !! The Dayton Flyers were really tough defensively and it was a very low scoring game.

For 2/3rds of the game, KU led by only 1, 3, or 2 points before finally putting together a gradual separation.

Cole Aldrich, KU's sophomore center, had a remarkable, historical game, a "triple double" (13 points, 20 rebounds, 10 blocked shots), the first in KU's recorded team history. That's extremely rare in college games -- Dwayne Wade and Shaq O'Neal were recent ones.

Wilt Chamberlain, who attended KU for a year or two, probably also accomplished that a few (or more) times, but records on blocks & rebounds weren't kept then. So Cole now has the KU record.

GREAT game for KU.

On to the "Sweet 16" next weekend and a chance to even out this year's series with Michigan State (to whom KU lost very early this season before maturing to their present level).

R-O-C-K C-H-A-L-K, J-A-Y-H-A-W-K! Kay -- U-uuu-uuuu!!!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
There were some GREAT games this weekend!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think KU has a much better chance of beating Michigan State this time than when they played them and lost in Lansing, MI, very early this season -- they were quite inexperienced in playing at a competitive Division 1 level when they met MSU then.

If KU wins, they'll advance to the Elite Eight -- a fantastic accomplishment for a team composed primarily of 1 junior, 1 sophomore, and the rest freshmen and it bodes VERY WELL for next year. Coach Bill Self and his assistant coaches have done a tremendous job in both recruiting and developing their young players.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We are although this year we're a little less interested since we are University of Kentucky fans and they didn't make it in for the first time in like 20 years. Still being from Louisville we're at least keeping track of their progress.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
bacatherine said
We are although this year we're a little less interested since we are University of Kentucky fans and they didn't make it in for the first time in like 20 years. Still being from Louisville we're at least keeping track of their progress.
I was sorry, too, that UK didn't make it, I was rooting for them. That's because Billy Gillespie, UK's coach, was an assistant under KU's coach Bill Self for quite a few years, then went to Texas A&M and uplifted their program into being very competitive, then UK hired him. I hope UK is patient with him and gives him the needed 4-5 years to recruit and develop the kind of players he needs to win the game he coaches. UK has had a very rollercoaster year so far, hasn't it?

You have, UK has, one of the greatest college basketball traditions in the nation (along with Kansas, NC, UCLA, Duke) so that anything less than going to the NCAA Final Four would be considered by many to be a dismal season.

Hope Gillespie stays and I look forward to some future games with KU -- there's an ancient UK-KU connection. :)

From Wikipedia:

After high school, Rupp attended the University of Kansas from 1919–1923....He was a reserve on the basketball team under legendary coach Forrest "Phog" Allen from 1919 to 1923. Assisting Allen during that time was his former coach and inventor of the game of basketball, James Naismith, whom Rupp also got to know well during his time in Lawrence.

In Rupp's junior and senior college seasons (1921–22 and 1922–23), Kansas (KU) had outstanding basketball squads. Later, both of these standout Kansas teams would be awarded the Helms National Championship, recognizing the Jayhawks as the top teams in the nation during those seasons.

Rupp coached the University of Kentucky men's basketball team from 1930 to 1972....Rupp was a master of motivation and strategy, often using local talent to build his teams. In fact, throughout his career, more than 80% of Rupp's players came from the state of Kentucky. He promoted a sticky man-to-man defense, a fluid set offense, perfect individual fundamentals, and a relentless fast break that battered opponents into defeat. Rupp demanded 100% effort from his players at all times, pushing them to great levels of success.

His Wildcat teams won four NCAA championships (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958), one National Invitation Tournament (NIT) title in 1946 (when the NIT was a tournament equal in prestige to the NCAA tournament), appeared in 20 NCAA tournaments, had six NCAA Final Four appearances, won five Sugar Bowl tournament championships, captured 27 Southeastern Conference regular season titles, and won 13 Southeastern Conference tournaments.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I hope UK is patient with him and gives him the needed 4-5 years to recruit and develop the kind of players he needs to win the game he coaches.
He will likely be fired tomorrow if we lose tonight. In any event, I think he will be fired after the last game. Unfortunately, he has not handled the position well. His off-the-court antics will cost him an opportunity to return, which sucks because I think he could become a very successful coach here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts