Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
John and I just paid our dues today and I can't wait to start getting our share each week :D Although I've got a long way to go until June 1. The farm we joined does a lot of heirloom varieties, so I'm excited about that too. Hopefully this will get us eating healthier, and saving money.

With the economy looking so crappy this might be a good option for people that like organic/locally grown foods but can't necessarily afford Whole Foods prices. Around here they fill up fast (hence my joining in the bleak days of February), you can find one by you at this site if you're interested:
Local Harvest

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I may sign up this year with our local CSA. Depends upon if Vicki who delivers our eggs ends up doing her garden/farmstand this year. She was unable to tend her garden fully this past summer due to back trouble. We missed her fresh lettuces and heirloom organic vegetables.
Usually I get all my veggies, garlic and eggs from her. If she doesn't think she will be able to do it again this summer, I will join the CSA.
My loyalty is to her first.

I can't wait for the fresh veggies.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Some friends are working on their 3rd summer running a CSA. We just met them recently, so I am excited to work with them this summer. That reminds me - I need to send them an email...

Last year, we had to drive quite a ways to pick up our haul. Besides the drive, it was great...fresh, organic veggies. Yum! It really did force us to eat healthier. Every time I opened the fridge, it was stocked with fresh veggies. It just causes you to make healthier choices.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'd love to, but there's just the two us and the husband won't eat any vegi that isn't a green bean. I did it once before and just wasted way too much food.

I love how fresh everything is and how it's not picked weeks before it's really ready to be eaten.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I joined last summer on Cam's recommendation, I believe, and I will be joining again. We had the BEST local organic produce imagineable, and I looked forward to the "mystery box" each week. =)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
My mom wanted to look into one, but most of them around here run about $500 for a share and with traveling back and forth to the beach we weren't sure that it would be worth it. So we'll continue to stop at the local farm stands on the way to/from the beach for our fresh stuff :D

Mmmmm I love fresh produce!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish we had something like that around here.
None on local harvest? :(

We hadn't planned on doing a fruit share, but since John has a juicer he's convinced me to sign up for a fruit share too. I made him promise not to let me cover too much of it with a. cream or b. crumb topping in cobblers. Yogurt and smoothies only!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
We just grow our own. My grandfather (82) still puts out a big enough garden for our entire family. We of course help him, more now than before due to his age and health, but you just can't beat fresh fruits and veggies. This year, I guess I'll be more of a mooch and take more than I give because I'll have to stay up here to study for the bar.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
My university has one, but its almost $500 and I'm one person, so that's probably not going to work.. :( But my parents have their own garden and grow lots of good stuff every year.. especially green beans! I could eat them all day, every day! :D

But my school also has stands every week or so where you can buy organic veggies so I'm sure I will do that once they start it up again :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts