Just Labradors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NPR (nat'l public radio) has a 2 hr M-Th program called Talk of the Nation. On Fridays, it switches topics to 2 hours on science topics; this is called Science Friday.

Last Friday, there was a segment (15 min.?) on dogs with 2 dog experts.

One expert (Sidney Coren) I don't usually care for** but he did have some interesting things to say about the origin of various hunting dog breeds:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200905155

You can click to hear the playback of the modern dog (the slide thingy with the speaker icon)

** I dislike Coren for several reasons: he's a PhD psychologist and that label is put on his books about dogs despite the fact his degree and field of expertise has nothing to do with dogs or animals. His dog expertise comes from being a participant in the dog fancy world. A second reason, I bought and read his book "The Intelligence of Dogs" and was very disappointed because it showed no evidence that Coren was familiar with the many studies on animal intelligence that comparative psychologists had previously done -- or that psychologists had done on people.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting - thanks for posting. I think the part about the technology allowing the dog to call you on the phone was funny - I'm not sure I'm ready for that!

Hello?
Hi. It's Lucy. Please bring some steak home.
*click*

: )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts