Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puff and I have driven several times to and from Vermont, and once to & from Oregon without carrying a letter or certificate signed by a vet that she is in good health.

But this last year I read something about the advisability of doing that just in case we were involved in an accident, situation, etc., and to avoid the possibility of her being impounded, quarantined &/or re-vaccinated.

So I called KSU's CollVetMed small animal clinic and they told me yes, they did that, and the certificates are valid for 30 days from the date of examination.

So, tomorrow morning, Puff gets examined for her certificate.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Bob - I carry the latest shot records on my dogs when we go anywhere - and have had success with those even going to Canada.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob - I carry the latest shot records on my dogs when we go anywhere - and have had success with those even going to Canada.
Whenever we've taken a long trip, I always attach a suitcase luggage tag to Puff's collar in which are the contact names, phone and addresses of her vets (@ KSU) and also of neighbors & relatives to be contacted in any emergency situation -- just in case I'm unavailable.

(Need to find where I last put that.)

é ½ ¼ º ± ♥ ÷ ≈ ° ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ↑ ↓ → ← ¢ £

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I only do it when flying a puppy, to be honest. I carry their rabies certificates in my wallet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
If you were in an accident, how would anyone know to look for the certificate (or where to look)? Bauer always wears his rabies tag from the vet which has their phone number. I always assumed that if we got separated and there was a question about his health, someone could call the vet.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We always take the girls health records when traveling. When they go to Canada to hunt they also have a recent health certificate of good health. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If I am traveling across state lines I try to get a print off from the vet off my dogs records to carry with me. Since I have a kennel license and the tags all say the same number I usually carry a handful of them with me as well at all times.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
When I drove 3,500 miles by myself with Theo in a rickety, falling-apart car, I got health certificates in addition to making sure that his microchip information was up to date.

If you were in an accident, how would anyone know to look for the certificate (or where to look)?
It's a good question. I taped a packet containing the certificates to the side of his crate. My reasoning was that if someone came upon the burning wreckage of my car, maybe they'd find his information. Luckily, he and I made it to California in two intact pieces. More to the point, if something serious happened to him along the way, I wanted to make sure I had up-to-date information to give to a vet.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The dogs went with us down to South Padre Island for vacation last month. I brought their health records, including rabies vaccine certifications, had the vet check their microchips before we left, and made sure the dogs wore collars with their tags (including rabies) the entire trip. We do this every year and have never had an incident, not even passing border control.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Never done it in the US but then I only go about 350 miles from home. Growing up we went to France every other summer and all sorts of certificates were needed for our dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts