Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am awaiting for final examination by the ortho specialist but it seems Homer has bi-lateral elbow displasya. Up til a month ago he was perfect, athletic active as usual and suddenly started limping on his left arm. He´s been examined three times by different vets and no one was able to detect anything. After the x-rays they still couldn´t see anything, but later when I was finally able to talk to the ortho specialist he told me he has elbow displasya. I still don´t know which of three ED problems he has though, will take him monday for another checkup and a couple more x-rays.

From what I´ve researched the prognosis is very poor, even surgery doesn´t seem to work well.

Anybody know what to expect? I already lived with two dogs who suffered hip displasya but they were OK up til they got old, and control with medicine and supplements. Homer is only 20 months old and I haven´t been able to reduce the limping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,895 Posts
I think there are a few folks who have experience with it - hoepfully if they don't want to post publically they'll pm you

I'm sorry to hear you are facing this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. I am very frustrated. Homer comes from one of the best breeders in Mexico, both parents and grandparents have health clearings, and still...

Two months ago I got the clearings for HD and they came good, and now the elbows... poor boy, I feel so sorry because I´ve been giving him medication for over a month and he´s not improving a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,788 Posts
Tristan (now 10) has ED - he was diagnosed around age 1.5 years. I've been managing him with glucosomine and metacam (NSAID) as needed, and he's doing fairly well, This past year he has been having increasing trouble with stairs and jumping on furniture, and his walks are getting shorter and shorter, but we manage okay.

Unfortunately genetics is a crap shoot, and you can try (and most definitely SHOULD) to lessen the odds by going to a breeder that health tests, but sometimes sh-t happens and you roll unlucky.


Make sure your breeder knows what's going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,895 Posts
Tristan is a beautiful well bred boy too
it really does SUCK ...
and I hate to see my friends in pain - sure you do too
hang in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, yesterday the ortho vet checked him and confirmed he has a coronoid process on both elbows. He will need surgery, which itself doesn´t seem bad (it´s arthroscopy with minimal incisions).

The problem is that he will require complete rest for at least 2 months afterwards and that´s something I just don´t know how to do it.

I would have to separate him from Misha, and then keep him from jumping, running, playing, etc. He is a hyper dog, loves to jump, run, play, being a normal lab...

And I don´t want to give Misha away... I´m facing a big dilemma here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
In the same boat

Hi black and yellow. I came on the board looking for others with the same experience. My 4 yr old was diagnosed on Tues. The xrays show the coronoid processes on both elbows but on the front. Flexing his front legs hurts the most. He also has a bursitis on the right leg.
He was on tramadol for pain until Friday. He now takes Sasha's blend and a Chinese medicine herbal concoction for inflammation. Unfortunately he has a colitis like condition that causes his intestine to ulcer and bleed. So, he can't have the standard anti-inflammatories. He'll have to take the 2 powders probably for the rest of his life. I have pain killers on hand in case he has been running with his buddies or if I know he's going to be active. He will limp heavily in front of me, limp slightly outside on leash, and not limp at all around other dogs. He is excellent at hiding his pain! I find with my dog, watching his face is the best indicator of when he's in pain and has had enough outside time.
The vet has put no restriction on his activities and he's very active. It is important to keep him moving. The quality of his life is also important.
That doesn't mean I'll be stupid. He won't be running down hills to chase sticks, I'll stop him running with his friends after he's had some time, I'll increase the swimming (I'm in Canada and we still have snow right now).
I have arthritis in my knees and so now Charlie and I are in the same boat. We take our preventatives. We walk to stay limber. We watch what activities we do. Some days we have pain.
Surgery was never mentioned. I don't know if it's because of the size of the processes or b/c it's something the vet uses as a last resort. My vet is into Eastern as well as western medicine and does acupunture and chiropractic adjustments if needed.
Sorry this is so long. It seems to take quite a bit to explain what's going on. I'm glad you wrote on the board. Thank you. The vet said if it's in his elbows, it's probably in his hips too. I'm finished crying over the years I'll lose with him. From now on it's quality not quantity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Maddy got ED when she was 14 months. We suddenly noticed her limping, brought her in, and xrays shows that she had FCP (Fragmented Coronoid Process). Tiny bones break off in the joint and it's like pebbles in your shoe...wearing out the cartilage the longer you wait. We had surgery done within the month we found the problem, and she only lost 1% cartilage in 1 elbow and 3% in the other. She is six now. She gets stiff from time to time, and it's not like surgery will make them 100% better like nothing had ever happened, but for us, it really helped Maddy's quality of life. She loves to run and work, and if we hadn't done it, she would have had chronic pain and degraded her elbow joints. She's on supplements too.

I think some forms can be helped by surgery. Some can't. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you both for sharing the experience. So far it´s been sad and frustrating. Homer also has a heart murmur, so the vet asked me to med him with vetmedin for at least 3 weeks before surgery. I´m still a couple of weeks away.

His limping has become worse, even with pain killers. Today I took him for a very short slow walk (20 min) and by the time we got back he was limping badly. I feel bad that he can´t even go out for a walk, but looks like he´ll have to stay in the house from now on.

Surgery is my last hope. I´m definitely not expecting 100% recovery but at least giving him quality of life (so he can play, run and walk like normal dog, not for hours but at least some time).

It´s unbelievable... a month ago he would run by my side 30 mins daily, come home and play with Misha for 15 mins more and never showed any sign of pain or limping...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I found that Charlie hid his limp and his pain. The vet said this has been going on so long, the shoulder muscles on the right side have atrophied compared to the left. At first he limped only occasionally and only in the house. Then he limped only in the house but what always fine outside so I didn't know what to think. Then came the day he had trouble getting up in the morning. Now he limps slightly on leash and if another dog comes around, there is no limp at all. I have had to give him tramadol at night b/c he comes home from our brief 20 min walk with a heavy limp. It seems like candy though. I don't know how much it helps him. I think he's on 100 mg. I'm hoping it will be like my arthritis where I have flare ups and bad days and then I have good days. Does anyone know? or will he always be limping? I'm going to give the Chinese herbal anti-inflammatory and the Sasha's blend some more time. Hopefully they will begin to help him.
I don't even know how large his bone spur things are. Black and yellow, did your vet suggest surgery b/c of the size and/or his lack of quality of life?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I researched a lot the desease before meeting with the ortho vet and found out that the best prognosis is for young dogs. The vet confirmed he had coronoid process and recommended the surgery. He will not guarantee results but mentioned most dogs show a vast improvement, even though arthritis will end up developing at some point. He told me most dogs after surgery have a lifespan between 2yrs and 6 yrs before they become completely crippled.

From what I read, if I do nothing he can be crippled in less than 6 months, and I´m beggining to believe it since he hasn´t improved a bit with the medication he´s been on for the past month
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Yes, from what I've read, Charlie at 4yrs is too old for surgery. Perhaps that is why it wasn't brough up. When is the surgery date? I really and truly do wish you the best. I understand the pain and the situation you're in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am still not scheduled for his surgery but most probably next tuesday or wednesday. It is easter weekend and I want to use the "free" weekend time to stay with him and make sure he doesn´t mess up the stitches or try to run

Thanks for the support, also hope your dogs copes well with the desease
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top