Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started walking 3x a week with my good friend so far we have done about 2.9 to 3.9 miles on each walk which I think is pretty good for someone who has never walked I just got a new pair of good walking sneaks and already feel the weigh coming off any tips??/

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Pedometers make walking so much more fun cuz then you can actually track your progress. I wouldn't have been able to lose 20lbs if it weren't for my pedometer to keep me encouraged

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
ME ME ME!!!!

I did it for awhile starting last March - but stopped when it got super hot in the summer.

I just started again (spring came late this year - it has been too cold). I walk 20-30 minutes - very briskly - non-stop. I have no idea if this is accomplishing anything figure-wise, but I'm sure it is healthy overall. And I LIKE IT! I walked a few nights (weather permitting) 2 weeks ago and I have done it 6 days in a row this week, but tonight won't be able to. I am trying to figure how I can squeeze it in. I don't want to skip a day! It is addicting.

Shin splints? Is that the pain I feel in the front of my legs from knee to ankle as I walk?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I try to walk every morning, year round. I usually walk 2 to 3 miles. Sometimes I take a second walk in the afternoon. The dogs are sooooo disappointed if I don't walk that it is great motivation for me. Now the walking has become a really solid habit. I've never had shin splints but muscles on my shins are incredible from years of steady walking.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Anne I dont take Buddy as temped as I am but we would never get any walking in with all his stopping he waits for me at the back gate just watching for Mom to come home and it is very addicting I really like it but soon it will get very hot here so I hope I can keep it up :)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
budbud said:
No Anne I dont take Buddy as temped as I am but we would never get any walking in with all his stopping
LOL! I forgot about that part! :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
About 3 yrs ago, I would run 2 - 4 miles per day. My hips could no longer take it. I have a walk that is 6 miles. I need to start taking it again. :laugh:

No advice really. Good shoes and a water bottle works great for me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm a big walker too and love it. Running just is too painful for this old lady.....One thing that I have done for years is to participate in the numerous "fun" walks/runs that different groups have to raise money. A big one is "Race for the Cure" - a national fund raiser for Breast Cancer treatment. It is awesome to see literally thousands of people in one place, walking and running for the same cause. Most communities have these walks for all kinds of causes and it's a great way to meet people, have fun and get your walk in to. Keep on walking.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Me!! I started almost a month ago when my youngest started track, while he is working out with his team I walk the track (about 3.5 miles in total), he workes out 4 nights a week so...I hope once school is out I can continue to walk I really do feel better and I have lost 8 lbs!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We walk almost every night. The nights I don't work out
I'm walking the neighborhood. Sometimes I can get both
in just depends on Connor

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm a walker. I walk about 2 miles early morning and again in the evening everyday. I've done this for the last 4 years. I rarely miss a day, and if I do, I make it up.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'm a walker. I try to do a mile every morning in the field. Ruger walks with me. I stopped since we got Remington because he can't do it yet. Magnum goes in the woods and grazes on bamboo until I'm finished. I try to do it in under 20 minutes.. .which is difficult.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'm a walker/jogger. Start slow and be sure to warm up, cool down, and stretch before & after the walking.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I have 4 demanding dogs so I am most definitely an avid walker. I walk twice a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year come snow, rain or shine. Occasionally it is only the one walk per day (if I do one long walk or someone else takes the dogs out for me) but 90% of the time it is twice per day. Walks can be of variating length. A long walk might be 1 1/2 hours, a short one 30 minutes. Typically it is two 45-60 minute walks, adding up to 1 1/2 - 2 hours per day. I have no idea how many miles I walk. If I had to guess I would say at least 2-3 miles per walk as I walk pretty darn fast.

When you get into the habit of walking daily it becomes addictive. I feel awful if I don't get my walks in. Besides, if I didn't, the dogs would drive me up the wall so I have no choice.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I forgot to say that a comfortable pair of walking shoes is essential. I got a new expensive pair last year. They may have cost me a bomb and they may look ugly but they feel great. No more nasty blisters.

For those that don't walk often...how do you exercise your dogs?

·
Registered
922 Posts
For you walkers that don't take your dogs with you - I think you're missing a great opportunity. I know dogs like to stop and sniff at every blade of grass, but they certainly don't HAVE to. My dogs stop and sniff when I say so, otherwise we keep on truckin':) If I stopped every time my dogs wanted to stop then I would never get any exercise.

As far as shoes go, wear good ones and replace them often. I put the date on mine when I buy them (I mark them with a sharpie pen on the inside of the tongue. When six months are up I buy another pair. I learned this the hard way after getting tendonitis a few times:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I walk between 5 and 6 miles at a time at least 5 days a week. This is the only way that I can possibly keep my weights half way in check. I used to walk religiously and then just sort of stopped and I piled on about 35 pounds. I got serious about a year ago, starting out with 2 miles are a time, and I have gotten it all back off. I try to mix in short intervals of running on the parts of my walk that are fairly flat surfaced since my knees won't let me run up or down hills. I really noticed the most change when I started that.

Gus and Zeke usually do about 2 miles of my walk (although Gus is now just going for very short walks since he is going to have a TPLO on Wednesday). They do slow you down a little at the beginning of their walk, but once they have done business, they are ready to move on a brisk pace.

I can't agree more with what others are saying about having a good shoes. Personally, I prefer running shoes over walking shoes. I think they give me more support where I need it and my legs feel better with that type of shoe. Again, it is very important to replace them often and I usually get a new pair every 3 months so that I always have 2 pair on hand and rotate them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts