Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's my 2nd semester now at Michigan State and my classes are totally kicking my butt. Last semester I used up all my life savings and barely scraped by.. this semester it's all student loans and I don't think that will pay all of my bills. :( So I have to get a job this semester.

I'm currently studying for my BS in Zoology/Pre-vet and am looking to get a part-time job at a local vet office. I want to go into the local places with a cover letter and resume and see if anyone's hiring.

My resume is pretty blah. There's not much to it since most of my jobs were basically waitressing and things of that sort. Is there anyone who would be willing to take a quick look at it and tell me yay or nay on the stuff I have on there?

TIA!

Justine

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I'm doing a similar degree to you. What I will say about vets from my experience is that it is HARD to get placement/job at one, of any sort. I once sent in an application for a part time vets assistance, not a vet nurse, and they sent me a letter back saying that they had hundreds of applications :surprise:. I had the qualifications and experience they listed, but didn't even get an interview. I tried a couple of others, same story.

So, what I am saying is, expand your search and apply for other things too. What I'm doing now part-time isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it is relevant to my degree and most importantly, it pays!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I cleaned kennels at a vet for two months before I got to work in the office ... as a receptionist :laugh: I did that for another month and then got to be an assistant ... part-time. I did that for a few more months and then got to be a full-time vet assistant. Be willing to do anything to get your foot in the door - the experience will help you greatly when you apply to vet school!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yellojakesmom said:
I cleaned kennels at a vet for two months before I got to work in the office ... as a receptionist :laugh: I did that for another month and then got to be an assistant ... part-time. I did that for a few more months and then got to be a full-time vet assistant. Be willing to do anything to get your foot in the door - the experience will help you greatly when you apply to vet school!
That sounds perfect! :D I will gladly clean up poop if I can later "climb the ladder" and do something better!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'd write a kick-ass cover letter and explain why you don't have much on your actual resume, but are willing to do or learn anything. Talk yourself up and tell them why they should hire you. You're the best! Make them believe it.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
joflake said:
I'd write a kick-ass cover letter and explain why you don't have much on your actual resume, but are willing to do or learn anything. Talk yourself up and tell them why they should hire you. You're the best! Make them believe it.
That's my plan! I have a ton of experience with animals since I've lived with them my entire life and I have people skills from working in restaurants/offices.. I also have "big girl" job experience working in 2 offices.. Ooh oh I've also hatched and raised quails.. :nerd: :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts