Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darbi is covered in one tonight. ???
I gave her Benedryl, put her in the bath and then put itch ointment on her.
She's still miserable. I'm thinking it's that wonderful new 2X Concentrated
Gain that I just bought and love so much.

Should I change laundry soap or just make her tough it out so that we can
all smell nice? :p

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh, no. Poor thing. Can you give her an Aveeno oatmeal bath and put Caladryl on? Menthol also relieves itching--it's the primary ingredient in Gold Bond, although it's probably not a good idea to put it on a wide swath.

When I saw your subject--Any rash suggestions?--my first thought was, "Well, jock itch is a good one."

[oops, Sandy and I were posting at the same time!]

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hey Scoo.... Fyi, don't use a "dryl" topical lotion when you have given Benadryl. I don't know why, but the doc and someone else told me not to do that.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Shanna said:
Hey Scoo.... Fyi, don't use a "dryl" topical lotion when you have given Benadryl. I don't know why, but the doc and someone else told me not to do that.
I guess if you used a great deal of Caladryl and gave a lot of Benadryl, too, you could overmedicate, since they have the same active ingredient.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a cortisone cream. I remembered you telling me about the combination of benedryl and dryl creams last summer. ;D

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
ooo, ick....hope it's the detergent and nothing else.

Feel better, Darbi!!! (Charla, quit pushin her in the poison ivy)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Poor girl. My boys have eczema, so we always have a supply of eczema cream around. I would think Calamine lotion may help if it's bothering her?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, poor thing! It's the curse of blonde skin :-[

Funny story:

I was having a series of x-rays done a couple of years ago for GI issues. They gave me the gown and I had to drink the stuff, then sit around and wait until it reached a certain point in my digestive tract.

While I'm sitting there, I start to itch. A LOT. I looked at my chest and it was bright red and covered in whelps. When the tech came in I said, "Um, I think I may be allergic to barium..."

She said, "You couldn't be! ??? Why do you think so?"

I showed her my chest. She thought for a minute and the light bulb went off: "Ohhhh, you know what? They wash those gowns in really heavy detergent. I bet you're allergic to that."

DUH!

This is the only kind of allergy I've ever had. I had totally forgotten, but Mom could only use one kind of detergent when we were growing up because of my skin. It's Tide.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Shanna said:
I guess if you used a great deal of Caladryl and gave a lot of Benadryl, too, you could overmedicate, since they have the same active ingredient.
That is what I presume too, but since there are some medical folks on here.... I didn't want to say anything. he he.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I use Boudreaux Butt Paste for all kinds of itchies. We cant get it here in the North and have to go through EBAY but I know in the South it is available in pharmacies.

Good luck with Darbs.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weird...most of Darbi's rash is gone today. There's just one little itchy spot left.....but now she has a fever. I wonder if the two are related? :-\

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Hmm. That is odd. Almost sounds like Roseola, but she is too old for that, I think.

Is Fifths disease like that?

I hope she feels better.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aim said:
Hmm. That is odd. Almost sounds like Roseola, but she is too old for that, I think.

Is Fifths disease like that?

I hope she feels better.
I don't know. ???

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aim said:
Here's the symptoms for Fifths Disease. It sounds much worse than it is. The name is horrible. lol.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html
Yeah, I just looked it up too. Sounds pretty close, doesn't it? I gave her some tylenol cold about an hour
ago. Now she seems much better and her sister is reading a book to her in the living room....lol.

If it is Fifths....it sounds pretty mild. I'll just have to watch her this weekend and see how she does.
Thanks Aim!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Oh man Scoo..... poor Darbo... *give her huggies from Aunt Shannee*

(note to self: pick up that camera next weekend :-X )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts