Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you planning on going to crufts this year?

I just read that gun dog day is the Saturday so that works out well.

£13~adults
£ 9~concessions

My breeder has 2 entrants so I think we'll be going to support her, it's only 3 train stops from me so not too bad a journey.

I'll take pics, if anyone else is going we'll meet and say hi~:)

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I dont think I could stand waddling around that arena lol!! Alfies trainer goes there and works with the Collies, she wanted to take Alfi last year for the puppy class as he was under a yr old but cos he was so big she didnt she wanted a smaller breed DRAT!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Well, I'm not a Brit so I won't be there... too far a swim across the pond.
But a couple of the beagles from my beagle board will be there. It's always such fun to "know" someone who is showing! :)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Is it next month? I'd like to, but it is 3 hours by car each way for me. Not to mention I am a bit bogged down with work at the moment.

It really sucks that it is not being shown on TV this year. I'm a bit of a loser in that I look forward to watching every year!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yep. The BBC pulled out as a result of that ridiculous, biased documentary.
Please elaborate.
I always enjoyed watching Crufts as they do not allow cropping or docking so you get to see dogs as God made them. I can understand docking for certain working dogs but it's a nice change to see their tails and ears intact.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Please elaborate.
This documentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/08_august/19/dogs.shtml

Was shown in the summer over here. Basically, it slated the breeding of pedigree dogs, picking the worst examples of breeders and heath problems in some breeds (Cavaliers, Bulldogs, etc.) to focus on. It then put the blame on the Kennel Club, suggesting that they encouraged and were responsible for severe heath problems in breeds.

There was no mention of responsible breeders in the documentary, so it tarred them all with the same brush. As a result, the BBC and other welfare organizations that supported the event pulled out of it.

The whole 'affair' surrounding one stupid documentary is ridiculous. Now millions won't be able to watch it all.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Was shown in the summer over here. Basically, it slated the breeding of pedigree dogs, picking the worst examples of breeders and heath problems in some breeds (Cavaliers, Bulldogs, etc.) to focus on. It then put the blame on the Kennel Club, suggesting that they encouraged and were responsible for severe heath problems in breeds.
That reeks of PETA influence. They protested Westminster here wearing Ku Klux Klan robes to insinuate that breeding pure bred dogs was like the Nazi's trying to "breed" a "pure" race of people.
I would bet they were behind that documentary.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I agreed that the Kennel Club should push for health testing on dogs that are registered with them but alot was blown out of proportion

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
That reeks of PETA influence. They protested Westminster here wearing Ku Klux Klan robes to insinuate that breeding pure bred dogs was like the Nazi's trying to "breed" a "pure" race of people.
I would bet they were behind that documentary.
I think a private production company were behind it, but if I didn't know better I too would think someone like PETA was behind it. Don't get me started on them - my blood will start to boil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts