Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a weird problem with my leg. A muscle in my leg/groin area keeps giving out on me, very painfully, and almost causes me to fall down. Been going on for three days now. The best way to describe where this muscle is... from my crotch, follow my underwear along the top of my leg to the front, about four inches, right there in the upper bend of my leg.

It literally will pop/pull. I have to walk very stiff legged to make it not happen.

Hate to go the doc for this as I'm sure it's something I've twisted and stretched.

Any words of advice?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Where you are describing the pain in the true hip joint....... I would suggest seeing your MD to get an x-ray to rule out problems with the joint itself. If it's not the joint then a PT should be able to help you learn the correct exercises.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Where you are describing the pain in the true hip joint....... I would suggest seeing your MD to get an x-ray to rule out problems with the joint itself. If it's not the joint then a PT should be able to help you learn the correct exercises.
Not one of the above, but it does sound like a hip problem, my left one gets out of place once in a while and needs fixed. One day it will need a replace.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My hips always goes out but my chiro pops it back into place. I never have pain where you are describing, mine is always in the back.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
My hips always goes out but my chiro pops it back into place. I never have pain where you are describing, mine is always in the back.
I get it in the hip first, but if I don't get it back in place it moves to my back.

All I have to do is sit down and have someone pull on it hard, takes just a few seconds. Have had some of the kids at work do it for me. Takes longer to explain it ain't like a "pull my finger" joke than it does to get it pulled back in place.:D

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I never thought it could be in the hip joint. I always think that is outside on the leg. This really seems to be a muscle/tendon in front, it seems somehow connected with my knee (which hurts too)

Honestly, it's hell to get old. I keep getting advertisments in the mail for the Scooter Chair, and I may just take them up on the offer ;)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Hmm, I never thought it could be in the hip joint. I always think that is outside on the leg. This really seems to be a muscle/tendon in front, it seems somehow connected with my knee (which hurts too)
When my patients tell me they have hip pain I make them point to it. The outside of the hip can be muscular or back related and the groin hip joint. Knee pain is common with hip joint arthritis.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I am a nurse, a massage therapist AND a physical therapist assistant, AND it sounds like I'm having the exact same problem that you are! Seriously! The past several weeks, mostly when I put weight on my right leg and shift to that side I get a serious pain and it feels like my hip is "giving out". It always makes me gasp too. I used to get a pain a few times a year when I would lift my leg up (flex my hip), but that felt more like a ligament or something, and I would just be easy on it, exercise it gently and stretch it and it would get better. I have no idea what I have now, but I don't like it. It feels really deep - I can't find any "soreness" with palpation - it's been bothering me at work, and because of the feeling of weakness and the gasping, I made an MD appt (I can put off an MD appt as well as the next person and maybe better) I want of hip x-ray just to see if it is arthritis. The bad thing is - it's my "good leg" - the other one had knee surgery in Sept. Good luck with yours and let me know what you find out - I'll keep you updated on mine.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It very well could be arthritis as I do have it in my feet, and suspect it elsewhere, but I really think I've pulled, or strained something. I tend to do a lot of landing on my foot and twisting my entire leg (running agility) that really is NOT good for me, but it's hard to do a front cross without a pivot, and it does tear the heck out of your leg.

It seems a bit better today. I have upped my hyarulonic acid to 3x a day.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I've been dealing with this also Linda. I spent 3 days running/trotting on cement floors at a show in November. I've hurt ever since in the area that you describe. It got in the way of my riding. Hot soaks in epsom salts and I've started taking the dogs' Costco Glucosamine with MSM. I haven't had pain in 4 days since taking the pills.

Yes it sucks getting old.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how you swallow those pills Laura. I've tried getting those horse sized glucosamine tablets down and can't. I wish they'd make them smaller. I've tried cutting them in half and filing the sharp edges, and they still won't go down. I have taken the liquid a few times but it never seemed to do much (after several bottles of the stuff).

Lately I'm finding the hyarluronic acid is really helping, a lot. I don't have pain in my toes any longer!! I'm also taking Turmeric, which helps control inflammation. These two supplements have really been doing wonders for me (even got my LDL levels down 29 points, go figure).

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I don't know how you swallow those pills Laura. I've tried getting those horse sized glucosamine tablets down and can't. I wish they'd make them smaller. I've tried cutting them in half and filing the sharp edges, and they still won't go down.
They are big and I sometimes gag.

Have you tried putting them in a blender with fruit juice (or maybe a Daquiri :D)?

º

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I take Mega Red, it's once a day fish oil and very potent compared to the others on the market. It has helped a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts