Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest is going to be starting kindergarten this fall and I'm thinking about going back to school to be a medical transcriptionist. Any on the board? Or know anyone that is one? If they like it? Where they went to school?
With SU still in the military and able to be deployed at a moments notice I need to find something I can do from home. The military is encouraging spouses to look into this carreer since it's possible to do from anywhere and even from home if needed. I never went to college after high school....big regret....but I'm 38 and don't really want to fall into the whole fast food rut again. Been there done that. I'm scared to death since I haven't even worked since 1999. (other than babysitting) Sigh.....

I'm rambling. I'll shut up.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
PM Kiddsmom. She's been a medical transcriptionist for a long time and I think she can give you some very sound advice on pursuing this line of "home work".

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've been one for 25 years. Unfortunately, it is not a career I would recommend to anybody now. It has changed so much over the years, the pay is not nearly good as it used to be. It can be a very difficult field for newbies to get into. Also, a lot of work is being sent overseas, so we have to compete with that, thus the reason for lower wages. Also, a lot of companies are starting to use voice recognition software - basically you are presented with a crappy draft and you need to listen to the dictation and edit the draft. Most of time I can type it faster, most places pay half the line rate for editing, i.e. typed rate is 8 cents per line, edit rate is 4, sometimes even less. A lot of companies will pay newbies maybe 6 cents per line and some newbies can type only about 100 lines per hour, averages about $6 an hour. My state minimum wage is more than that.

Here are a couple of transcription forums. This one has a section on how to get into transcription:
http://mtchat.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

This one also has some insight as to what transcription is like nowadays:
http://www.mtstars.com/Forums.htm

A lot of hospitals have outsourced their departments to national companies and in turn, those national companies send work overseas. I work for a national company, been with them for 10 years. I am fortunate, I make a decent rate because I've been there for awhile but the new people coming on don't get certain perks that the old-timers get.

I am pretty much self-taught. I took a medical terminology as a summer school course eons ago and basically taught myself to type. I started out as a clerk in a transcription department of a big hospital and got some on-the-job training. I just had a knack for it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I was a medical transcriptionist for years and it was a GREAT job - back in the day. ;)

I haven't worked in about 7 years now, and things were really starting to change when I "retired". I still think there are opportunities out there. My favorite doctors to work for were the ones who were the hardest to transcribe, because they turned out to be the most grateful when I could turn their garbled dictation into a readable letter! You have to be a really fast typist to make good money - back when I was working I was typing about 135 wpm. Also, to be really good you need to understand what you are typing, so that you know if it is correct or not. I did a lot of rheumatology and orthopedics when I was working and I especially enjoyed the orthopedic stuff. Later on I worked for an ENT group, and didn't find that nearly as interesting to listen to, although the doctors I worked for were wonderful bosses.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Labsrme said:
You have to be a really fast typist to make good money -
That and have a really good word expander. You also gain speed by not having to look up words, know you medications and dosing, instruments, etc. I hardly have to look anything up.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't think you make the money in this field any longer, most of this work has been out-sourced.
Why not become an X-ray tech, they make better money and it's a more rewarding job as you actually work with patients.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Not that I am speaking for the person that orignated this post but she's probably like me, wants to try and do something in the home. It's difficult even w/ my kids in school because I need hours that are conducive to their schedule. That way they aren't latch key kids or I have to pay daycare. It almost isn't worth a paycheck then. With no college education and still paying off my hubby's student loans I really can't afford to go back to school right now.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Just an FYI what hospitals and such are really screaming for is coders. Our system is paying all cost for employees to go back to school and studying Medical Records Coders.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I agree with AZlab. Our hospital is begging for coders but also it is very hard to get a medical transcriptionist. We have had ads out for months. So it might be worthwhile for you. Also, the pay is better if you work in a hospital rather then a doctor's office.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wendy said:
Not that I am speaking for the person that orignated this post but she's probably like me, wants to try and do something in the home. It's difficult even w/ my kids in school because I need hours that are conducive to their schedule. That way they aren't latch key kids or I have to pay daycare. It almost isn't worth a paycheck then. With no college education and still paying off my hubby's student loans I really can't afford to go back to school right now.
EXACTLY! I thought about going back to work in the fall just to like a fast food place while the kids are at school. But then having to go in and ask for your schedule to get changed every time things get busy at the base for war stuff and SU cant get home....or deployed. It's a big pain and most employers just dont understand. That's why I figured the medical transcription thing would be good. I know the pay wouldn't be that good at first. Guess I'll have to think about it more. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Dental Hygenist.

The ones I know have very friendly hours. They can work contract or directly for a dentist. I think there are continuing education courses at night, not a very lengthy program. The money is good and the demand is there. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
One problem I am having is what do i do w/ the kids in the summer. My kids are 12, 10, 6 & 6, my 10 yr old has Asperger's and has issues with keeping his mood together. When things don't go his way it sets him off pretty quick. Most care givers that I have found really don't want to have to deal with that situation. They aren't old enough to stay home yet, I don't know if Jon will ever be at the point where he can handle being at home alone. Anyway, I had a job offer but when I thought about summer there was no way I could take the job. One area I'm looking into that you might think about is substitute, you can actually be put on the list for office help and the assitants. It only takes 60 bucks out of pocket to get your fingerprints and background check. I've been watching my school to see if any other positions open up. Another person here, Becca, worked as a lunch lady for a while and she loved it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts