Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a leak somewhere on my mini-van and I think it's from my water pump, so I answered an ad on Craigslist to find someone to get it fixed relatively cheap.

The guy I chose said he was a mechanic, but when he came out to my place, he certainly didn't look like one. He showed up just before dark and wanted me to bring a lamp outside for him to work by. Then he wanted to use my car's jack under the oil pan to lift the engine to change the pump. I didn't see how he could lift the engine but not the vehicle without removing the motor mounts and didn't want to risk a hole in the oil pan. So I told him I would prefer he didn't do that, at which he packed up his wife and kid (he didn't have any tools out, but my jack) and left saying there was no other way.

So was I wrong?

Kevin

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
He wanted to jack the car under the oil pan to raise the engine??? That sounds to me like he didn't know what he was doing. I would think jacking under the oil pan would seriously dent or crack the oil pan.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Stay away from that guy.

Do you know whats leaking? Oil, Antifreeze, water?

Are you sure that you are not seeing the water discharge from your A/C which would be normal? I don't mean to talk down to anyone. Just not a lot of information in the post.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely not from the AC, that's for sure. At any rate, the guy didsn't work on my car, so it's safe for now, such as it is.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts