Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you've got them, so hand 'em over! :D

I'm looking for something quick to throw together and preferably something I can make lower in fat. I know I saw something on TV, maybe Paula's Home Cooking, where she said *gasp* you can replace the cottage cheese and sour cream in the filling with low-fat or fat-free products.

Doesn't matter if it's with meat or veggies or both. I like 'em all. :D

TIA

Justine

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i've eaten lasagna made with cottage cheese to cut the calories, but i've only ever made it myself with ricotta.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Just use the ready to bake noodles--I do that now and it is so much easier. I use ricotta also. You could try substituting ground turkey or chicken for beef, or just use less sausage/beef in the sauce also. If you like mushrooms, you could use that in place of a meat. I think low fat cheese tastes gross, so I just use less cheese instead of LF cheese.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
oh and my aunt used to make baked ziti instead of lasagna. she used the same ingredients, but it was easier to make.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Lasagna is just easy period. I don't know that there's an "easy" recipe - the ready to bake noodles cut out one step though for sure.

My mom has always used cottage cheese in hers and it's good.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I always use cottage cheese in mine and never ricotta. I prefer it that way too. I dont use ready bake noodles and I dont boil them either. Just extra sauce and cover it with foil to keep the moisture in.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I really like this recipe ~ and it's simple. I change two things ~ I use the no-bake noodles (I soak them in hot water for a couple of minutes before I layer them). And I use ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese because I don't like cottage cheese. :vomit: This has hot sausage in it ~ so not really low fat, but it sure is yummy!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/recipes/best-lasagna-ever.pdf

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
kiddsmom said:
Not really necessary to use ready bake noodles. My friend just used more sauce and that helps cook the noodles.
Excatly.. plus the no boil noodles have a different texture. I just use regular noodles, make my sauce a little thinner, and make sure I have a layer of sauce on on top and bottom of each layer of noodles. I make a 4 cheese lasagna, so its not low on calories

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't like the "ready bake" noodles at all. They taste totally different to me. I use part-skim mozzarella and part-skim ricotta. Can't tell the difference at all.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Weird...I've never noticed any difference between the regular, whole grain, or ready to bake lasagna noodles.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think they taste "starchy". No? Maybe it's just me. LOL :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts