Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we're currently working on getting the basics down (sitting, staying, laying down) he's doing pretty well so far but now thinks unless i have a treat in my hand, he's not doing it... any advice or tips?

Also- did anyone use a professional dog trainer or did you do it on your own?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
find an obedience class (or if you pup is still a baby, find a puppy class). They are a really great tool to help you train your dog, not just for newbie owners but all owners. They are about more than just learning how to train your dog (they train you, not the dog) but give you a place to train with controlled distractions and abit of socialization (working in a new environment).

Stop keeping treats in your hands altogether. my last class (puppy class) they said to give a treat to the dog before you start a training session so they know there are rewards but then put the treats in a treat bag or you packet - OUT OF YOUR HAND but accessible. when the dog does the right thing, say YES or other word the very second they do it (say the second the butt touches the ground) to mark what they did (this is a hard part of training - we are often too late in marking) then you can go get a treat in your pocket. Once the dog knows what the command is, start sporadically treating. In a way the dog cannot predict (so not every second time as they will learn that, but randomly)

·
Registered
207 Posts
try training with praise not treats. thats what im doing with stella and shes doing great she sits, stay, come, paw, and not treats involed or expected at the end

·
Registered
756 Posts
That will be better for her waistline. Haha
Judy and Jack

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Great advice above. The puppy "good manners" my Maxx finished a few weeks ago was a blast and we learned so much. Maxx really enjoyed the classes and he starts his next round of classes after the holidays, I am addicted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, this may sound dumb (ha!) but all of the classes i've looked into want you to leave them there for 1-2 weeks.. will that confuse him since i've already had him for a little over two months? Sorry, i just have a ton of questions lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
Maybe you're looking into a different type of training, not basic puppy?
For beginning puppies, lots of the classes are called "puppy kindergarten". They usually meet once a week, for an hour or two, for about six weeks. The owners bring their pups and get instruction from the teacher. The teacher is teaching the people how to train the dog. Leaving your dog somewhere for basic training won't help you learn how to teach him things.

I took Bean to puppy kindergarten, but had already taught him most of the things we learned there, like sit, stay, down, etc. I watched a lot of videos online, and started out using a clicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to ask about the clicker, just ordered one. And, i'll call our petsmart about puppy kindergarten. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Ok, this may sound dumb (ha!) but all of the classes i've looked into want you to leave them there for 1-2 weeks.. will that confuse him since i've already had him for a little over two months? Sorry, i just have a ton of questions lol
What kinda of schools are you looking at? No, definately don't "send him away" from training. I ment obedience classes you attend once a week with the dog. They are usually called basic obedience, or beginning obedience. Or because you have a younger pup, look at puppy classes.

I won't say petsmart classes are not good, but sometimes their trainers get very very little training and are not really dog savy. If there are actual dog training schools I would check them out. Or at least take a look at the puppy classes at petsmart before signing up. ESPECIALLY for puppies who have not yet had all their shots, I woudl be wary of bringing them to a pet store where so many dogs go. Unless they have a seperate space that is DISINFECTED before puppy class.

ETA: Ok never mind, your pupy is six months. They may not let him attend puppy class (worth asking, they might) but he should be about ready (possibly) for a regular obedience (beginners).

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
What kinda of schools are you looking at? No, definately don't "send him away" from training. I ment obedience classes you attend once a week with the dog. They are usually called basic obedience, or beginning obedience. Or because you have a younger pup, look at puppy classes.

I won't say petsmart classes are not good, but sometimes their trainers get very very little training and are not really dog savy. If there are actual dog training schools I would check them out. Or at least take a look at the puppy classes at petsmart before signing up. ESPECIALLY for puppies who have not yet had all their shots, I woudl be wary of bringing them to a pet store where so many dogs go. Unless they have a seperate space that is DISINFECTED before puppy class.

ETA: Ok never mind, your pupy is six months. They may not let him attend puppy class (worth asking, they might) but he should be about ready (possibly) for a regular obedience (beginners).
You may be right but Dylan joined at five months without question !

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
You may be right but Dylan joined at five months without question !

And I went with a foster who was 5mts so it's possibly, but that will depend on teh school. I just ment that at that age he can just as easily go to basic obedience. There can be advantages to doing puppy class though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts