Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your antivirus software is running a scan, can you continue to work in other applications? I've always been hesitant to do that as a complete scan can run close to two hours and I'd hate to have to start it all over again just because I couldn't wait to get to JL.

TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,457 Posts
You can, but the scan tends to slow things down quite a bit.

ETA - do what I do, set your scans to run at night, and leave the computer on one night a week. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,548 Posts
I continue to do what I want, Nance. A lot of it has to do with how much memory you have. Some scans can really bog down your computer if you don't have the memory. I am mindful of how many windows I have open and what else I'm doing, but I do surf while the scan is running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ladies. Jackie, I have it set to run during the night but it detected a Trojan virus this morning when I clicked open something in Photobucket. The scan actually ran 1 hour, 43 minutes.

I'll check the memory, Laura. I think there is plenty on this computer but I'd have to check to see what it came with. I remember opting for a LOT because of all the images I access or store on her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,812 Posts
Yesterday several people on my Cricut forum said that they got a virus from the Photobucket site. People that use it might want to do a scan of their computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,928 Posts
I think Firefox is supposed to block a lot of viruses, right? I am skeeerd to run any sort of scan again since the last time I "cleaned" up my computer it crashed and I was in the market for a new harddrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,715 Posts
Linda1 said:
Yesterday several people on my Cricut forum said that they got a virus from the Photobucket site. People that use it might want to do a scan of their computer.
I did a full scan on mine today, all is well, but makes you alittle nervous!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Yes, you should be able to keep working away. It'll slow your computer down somewhat (Shouldn't come to a grinding halt though).

Cheers,

Pottsie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,463 Posts
this is one of the best anti-virus scanner I've used. It has found an eliminated some viruses my expensive (PCcillin internet security pack) finds but can't heal, delete, quarantine etc....this one is fantastic...it's the fastest scan I've ever used...takes a relatively short period of time and comes highly recommended by Cnet review....and it's FREE....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dad of Toby said:
this is one of the best anti-virus scanner I've used. It has found an eliminated some viruses my expensive (PCcillin internet security pack) finds but can't heal, delete, quarantine etc....this one is fantastic...it's the fastest scan I've ever used...takes a relatively short period of time and comes highly recommended by Cnet review....and it's FREE....
DoT - all the PC-cillin sites I looked at charge $49.95 per year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,463 Posts
Paddysmom said:
Dad of Toby said:
this is one of the best anti-virus scanner I've used. It has found an eliminated some viruses my expensive (PCcillin internet security pack) finds but can't heal, delete, quarantine etc....this one is fantastic...it's the fastest scan I've ever used...takes a relatively short period of time and comes highly recommended by Cnet review....and it's FREE....
DoT - all the PC-cillin sites I looked at charge $49.95 per year.
That's right...that is the "expensive" anti-virus package I have....it doesn't find and eliminate all the viruses.....the http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol finds them all and eliminates them...often the PCcillin (trend micro) will find them but can't eliminate them....I'm not sure what good finding them but not eliminating them does?

Sorry Nance...I forgot to post the link to the Malwarebyte site before...now I see where the confusion is....my bad..
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top