Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine sh*t the bed on Christmas eve as I'm trying to clean. It was a Kenmore canister that I've had for probably 15 years. **** I loved that thing.

I need to buy one - today. The only place around is Wallyworld and when I looked yesterday in another branch, they only had a few canisters, no Kenmore of course.

My question is....I saw some onlline today and 1 that interested me said "powerful 9 amp motor". Is that powerful? I need something that can stand to clean out the woodstove pipe once a month....

My upright is fine (although freaking heavy!), I need a canister since we have all wood or brick floors.

:)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
For cleaning the woodstove pipe a shop vac would be a MUCH better solution. A normal vaccum is not made for that sort of job. They are pretty cheap (available at Loew's or HD).

Can't answer the question about the motor. Have you tried looking at Consumer Reports reviews for vaccums?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A normal vaccum is not made for that sort of job.
Oh but Kenmore canister was! It's much more convenient than dragging the shop vac out from the shed. :) You're right though, we got lucky.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I just bought a new upright vacuum and it is a 12 amp. So you can find them with more power than a 9amp.

I think Sharon is right though- a shop vac would work better. You can get small ones that you could store in the house. They've got a wide variety of sizes these days.

Here is a tall one and it is easily stored in the back of a closet (My parents have one like this):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=141554-20097-9520111&lpage=none

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We have a shop vac out in the shed, but it's like 20 years old. Although we barely used it, I doubt it still works. I'll have to drag it out and see.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Why not just go to Sears and buy another Kenmore canister? I love mine. It's works great. I use mine as a shop vac, too. It's better than most SV.

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
Dont buy a dyson , whatever ya do .

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
To answer you amperage question, the Mfg's would list the motor amps (which really only states how much power it consumes). RPM, sucttion design determine how good a vacuum works. Now the Mfgs are using phrases like "Equivalent to 14 amps!" or "14 amp wind rating") What the hell that means is some marketing guy thought that we want more horsepower in a vacuum and would buy based on that. An efficient design could be run on much smaller motors.

Our Sears lets you try out several vacuums in the store. Bring you own can of dirt and give several a test drive.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not just go to Sears and buy another Kenmore canister? I love mine. It's works great. I use mine as a shop vac, too. It's better than most SV.
Well Wallyworld had sh*t, so a trip to Sears is in order Saturday for another Kenmore canister. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts