Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They thought Dexter had lymphoma. Took him in this morning and the ultrasound showed nothing, but yet his white blood cell count is very high. Did an xray and still found nothing. Took a bone marrow sample and they just called and said it came back normal. They're keeping him at the vet for a couple of days because he hasn't been eating or drinking so they have to give him fluids I guess, plus more tests.

What the heck else could it be? Wouldn't cancer show up somewhere?? I told her to make sure they check his teeth for infection somewhere.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
How old is Dexter?

What other symptoms, if any, is he exhibiting?

Elevated white cell count is definitely indicative of an infection of sorts... does he also have a fever? Pain or stiffness?

When Henery was very ill last fall, his white cell count was through the roof, and his cells were reactive. He was also running a very high fever, with neck pain and tremors. He wouldn't eat, drink, and couldn't walk. His own vets thought he might have encephalitis or meningitis and referred him to the Emerg Vet Hospital.

Fortunately, his spinal tap was negative. They kept him a few days on IV fluids and antibiotics and ran ultrasounds, xrays and nearly every test imaginable. He recovered. They never did figure out what made him so sick... I think the official diagnosis was "fever of unknown origin". ::)

Hope they find an answer for Dexter! Keeping him in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My old golden boy had cancer, they new it but they never could find it. We had that dog x-rayed and ultra-sound from stem to stern. They never found it. He didn't live long once diagnosed... about three months.

I hope they can find what going on with your boy. Keep us posted.

G

·
There's a new blood serum test for detecting canine lymphoma by looking for a protein fingerprint in the blood. Since Dexter's other test results were ambiguous, it might be worth doing. Here's the company's web site if you want to read about it and/or pass the info along to your son, his gf and their vet.
http://www.pet-screen.com/web/PETSCR/index.cfm

Good thoughts for Dexter.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Felicia, Dexter is was from the shelter so they think he's about 4 right now. Your reply was very hopeful, I copied and pasted in an email to her. Thanks.
I also sent her the link from Sue. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts