Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for all your responses, we decided to go ahead with a yellow male lab. We pick him up on Friday! Our other lab (who will be 9) should adjust just fine. They are in the same family tree as we bought from the same breeder. My husband picked out his name, it's Sully. lol
Now we will have Shadow (black) and Sully (yellow). Shadow is still very young at heart, loves to excercise and play so I am excited to introduce Sully to Shadow! We got another kennel, and of course a new leash, dog dish, etc. The breeder said that a young male puppy will never challenge an older male dog...it only takes once and the pup knows who is boss. So, I am hoping for the best and looking forward to Friday! :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Congratulations!

edited to add - Tell your husband I think Sunny sounds better with Shadow than Sully. ;) We were going to name a yellow pup Sundance or Sunshine if we got one while we still had our Shadow.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition!

I hate to tell you this, but a young male will challenge an older male when the young male begins to mature. It's natural.
You can help this by letting both dogs know that you are the boss...period!

I can't wait for pictures!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations! Aysa is nearly nine and Allie was 6 months when we brought her into the house. As long as you don't disrupt their doggy pack order, like I did, you will do fine.

I've made some corrections and things are much better now. Aysa comes in and goes out first. She gets greeted first and played with first and last. I also feed her first. If I give out a snack, she gets hers first too.

They only fought over Kong Toys when I had treats in them...so I took the treats out.

Have fun, I can't wait to see the pictures!

Linda

This is NOT a Big Mac! Where's that Clown?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Congrats on your new addition; we need pictures after Friday!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts