Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you know my son Phoenix. He's 9 with Autism and competes with all three of the labs for the ultimate goofiness award. You can't be in a room with Phoenix and NOT laugh. It's just impossible, the kid is hilarious!!

He still has occasional 'accidents' in bed. He hadn't had one for quite a while but he got up this morning saying he had one. I've heard that boys can have more problems than girls. Phoenix says he doesn't wake up. As soon as he wakes up he realizes it happened and then he comes and tells me.
Do I need to call the doctor? He doesn't seem to have any symptoms of a UTI or a Kidney infection. I try to limit what he drinks after 8pm as he goes to bed between 10-11 right now because of summer.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If it becomes a common occurance I would ask the doctor but if it's just a once in a while thing I'd just try to get him to use some type of depends type thing so it's not as big of a mess and not make much of it.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I would check with the doctor just to rule out any medical problems, but it is fairly common (especially for boys). One of my son's friends had accidents at night until he was 11 (when he spent the night, he came with his "Good Nights" underpants). He has another friend (11.5) that still has occasional accidents at night (he too comes over with his "Good Nights"). The moms have told me the rules about liquids in the evening so I know what is going on, but I don't think my son even knows.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never made a deal out of it. I just tell him to let me know when it happens so I can clean up his bed and such for him. I'd hate to embarrass him!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
They have new underwear now that is less plastic-y than the GoodNights, more like plain undies. I would get him those to wear to bed, just in case.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
They have new underwear now that is less plastic-y than the GoodNights, more like plain undies. I would get him those to wear to bed, just in case.
I agree, and make it all about him. Let him know that it isn't a big deal to you, but that you want him to be comfortable at night and get a good nights sleep.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys!! I'll send Shane to get some tonight since he has to go to the store anyway! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts