Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone didn't do their homework. :(

My mom was telling me this afternoon that the daughter of her neighbor across the street (who I have known since we were little girls) is going to have to find a new home for their Lab. He's not even a year old yet. Her husband has given her an ultimatum: Either find him a home or he's going to kill him (he's not serious about *really* killing him - at least I don't think so - but he is serious about finding him a new home).

Here's why:

He has too much energy. The dog was going on long runs with the wife during the summer and fall, but now that it's been cold she's not running anymore. The kids begged for a dog, but now they hate him because he has too much energy. Well of course he has too much energy! He's a Lab puppy! What were you expecting?!?!

He has started destroying their house when they are gone. He ate their brand new leather couch down to the springs. As a solution to this, they decided to keep him in the backyard. Out of the goodness of their hearts (and this is my favorite part), they decided to plant a tree for him to have some shade. He tore the tree out of the ground and carried it around the yard, of course. When I asked why he wasn't crated during the day, Mom said they said it was because he had outgrown the crate he had when he was a puppy. Mom was like, "Um, don't you think it would have been better to spend $150 on a crate than to lose your brand new $3,000 leather couch?" He also eats shoes and other things left lying around. Say it with me: "THEN DON'T LEAVE THINGS LYING AROUND!!!"

Now they are looking for a "farm where he will have lots of room to run." Super.

It's so sad. He sounds like a perfectly normal dog, who just had the extreme misfortune of landing with a family who was completely unprepared. And now he will be the one who pays. It is just not fair.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
This story breaks my heart because it sounds like my Duke's first family. They wanted to get rid of him when he was 8 months old and told the children to find him a new home in 2 weeks or they would have him put down. Whether they mean it or not, imagine saying that to children!!!! Of course nobody wanted Duke because of all the issues that came with him as a result of growing up with a family that didn't have a clue of how to care for a puppy. I pray that that lab puppy finds a loving forever home.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You know, I use to get angry and sick over people like that. But now I am actually grateful because if it wasn't for those idiots I would not have Koko. I would rather them find a new home then just dumping him off in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sounds like your typical lab puppy. I get really peeved when this sort of thing happens. Hope he finds a great home. He doesn't need a farm, just smart, caring owners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.