Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again....very long time reader, seldom-poster. :)

My Sam just turned 3. He is a huge lab. I've been feeding him Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Lamb and Rice since he was 6 months old. He has slight seasonal allergies and usually has an ear infection about twice a year. I give him fish cap's and have started glocosimine and condroitin (excuse spelling).

I wanted to upgrade his food...I've been feeding him Innova Evo for about 3 weeks.

He weighs 120 lbs. My vet thinks he would be perfect/on the thin side at about 110 lbs.

This morning my vet thought the Innova Evo might be too rich for weight loss even at just 2 cups a day.

What food would everyone recommend for my Sammie? I'm thinking maybe the Innova Large Breed? Sam is very athletic when it comes to swimming and retrieving his soccer balls..but beyond that he is very laid back....not an agility athelete or herding dog type.

I personally think that reducing the amount given of a large breed or regular feed is better than buying a low calorie food. Who agrees, disagrees?

...here is a picture of Sam with some of his buds...he is the tall one checking out a cool bug. :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From that photo Sam does not look overweight to me as I can see a very distinct waist. I feed my boys the Natural Choice Lite Lamb and Rice and they are doing well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial picture shows Sam 10 lbs ago. Maybe this one is better. He has put on a little weight between 2 and 3 yrs and our long snowy winter didn't help things.

I'm tempted to try Labby's Pro Plan food....I'm sure they have a lamb and rice type.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
He actually looks pretty good. You can cut back on the kibble and subsitute some of it with green beans. If you use the canned type, be sure to rinse them. My guys eat frozen carrots, green beans, etc. as greats. Check the cals on the label of the food. Innova is high even in the regular Innova and you do not need to feed as much. Hopefully with the warmer weather coming up, he will lose some of it with exercise. Very pretty dog.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, Zoe Zoe. I have been feeding him green beans, canned, but not rinsing them. I will sure start rinsing...what is on the beans? Is it ok to give him beans every evening? He likes them. :0)

·
Registered
703 Posts
ahhh ...he is an okay weight now, but better in the first shot.

Its about calories in and calories out. EVO has a lot of calories and has a high digestabilty, so just cut back on the amount you feed. I would cut back about 10% or so to start (if he is fed 2 cups/day, I would feed roughly 1 3/4 cups/day for about 1 month and check back in). If he gains weight cut more, if he lost weight but did not reach the goal, keep at that pace. If he reaches the goal to quicky, you need to up the food a bit. It should take him 2-3 months to loose those 10 pounds, not 2-3 weeks.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
zoezoe said:
He actually looks pretty good. You can cut back on the kibble and subsitute some of it with green beans. If you use the canned type, be sure to rinse them. My guys eat frozen carrots, green beans, etc. as greats. Check the cals on the label of the food. Innova is high even in the regular Innova and you do not need to feed as much. Hopefully with the warmer weather coming up, he will lose some of it with exercise. Very pretty dog.
Frozen veggies as a treat! GREAT IDEA. I'm going to try that!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Dukesdad said:
From that photo Sam does not look overweight to me as I can see a very distinct waist. I feed my boys the Natural Choice Lite Lamb and Rice and they are doing well.
I agree.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeh, you are feeding him the best kibble out there. I wouldn't change it to something lesser just for weightloss. Just like the others have said, it has everything to do with how many calories he eating vs how many he is using and nothing to do with how "rich" a food is. It amazes me that some vets think it is therapeutic to add a bunch of corn,wheat and fillers to a dogs diet in the name of weight loss.

The green beans are a great idea. He doesn't look a bit heavy to me, but with any dog that big it is probably always safer to keep him on the thin side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts