Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get asked at least twice a day while were walking Kanati if he is a weimer,just got back from our evening walk.We nicely tell them that he is a lab,they say that they have never heard or seen one that color.None the less they think he is adorable. They ask from what breeder and where we got him from.

·
Registered
806 Posts
With all due respect, what do you expect? Even the general public, for the most part, know that labs come in black, chocolate and yellow...hence the valid question about your boy. He is cute (all puppies are), but he'll continue to look more and more weim as he grows....the questions won't stop, so I hope you have a thick skin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not bother me one bit. I just find it amusing that. There questions are very valid.But he is lab none the less.I think the more he grows the more of a lab he will look.Just the color throws everyone off. Hey if I wasnt already married,Kanati would be a great way to meet women lol lol. Just look at him,he looks like a lab cause he is a lab.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Whenever a single guy s getting a Lab and asks for name sugestions, I always suggest,Magnet. Because unless the dog never gets outside, he will be one.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I must say, that he does look more like a "lab" than most "silver labs" do. You're going to get questions all the time, and it would be a good time to educate people on "silver labs". Just remember that this a lab forum where people are very interested in what is good for the breed - I wouldn't push the silver lab stuff too much .....

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
It's hard for people to resist cute puppies on walks! I just got slobbered all over by a 3 month old pug earlier this week - so cute and tiny compared to our labs :D

They ask from what breeder and where we got him from.
I won't touch the silver issue ;) but a breeder who let you have a puppy at 6 weeks is probably not the one you want to be giving extra business. Just something to think about as you get questions on your boy.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I won't touch the silver issue ;) but a breeder who let you have a puppy at 6 weeks is probably not the one you want to be giving extra business. Just something to think about as you get questions on your boy.
Exactly! Six weeks is too early to let a pup go from its mama.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I hate to break in on the love fest...but the fact that you are bragging about having a "silver" lab and promoting a breeder that gave you a dog at 6 weeks and one that is not a true color of our illustrious breed is completely irresponsible of you. I am offended that you are on here bragging about this color and everyone is going goo-goo over a puppy that we all argue about any other time is incorrect.

Yes, the damage is done, and you now own this dog and you should love it no matter what, but do us all a favor, and really educate yourself and properly educate others that this is not an accepted color of lab.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
What Nicole said and no, as he grows he'll look more and more like a Weim. Most of them do.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Sorry dude, he looks like a weim cross cause that's what he is. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I hate to break in on the love fest...but the fact that you are bragging about having a "silver" lab and promoting a breeder that gave you a dog at 6 weeks and one that is not a true color of our illustrious breed is completely irresponsible of you. I am offended that you are on here bragging about this color and everyone is going goo-goo over a puppy that we all argue about any other time is incorrect.

Yes, the damage is done, and you now own this dog and you should love it no matter what, but do us all a favor, and really educate yourself and properly educate others that this is not an accepted color of lab.
I hate to break it to you but the fact is I never promoted the breeder nor me bringing him home at six weeks of age. Next time re-read my post and educate yourself on what I did say.
I was not aware I could not take him home at six weeks of age.More than one breeder that we looked at never told us that.Call that ignorence on my part if you like.
I stated I did not know the controversy on the silver color and more than explained myself on here.I did not have to but I knew there would be people like you who would not understand unlesss it's in print.
There is no damage done at all.What did you expect me to do?Take him back to the breeder and tell them that the lab community did not approve, get real.
I joined this forum to further educate myself on labs.The normal person would not of known the big deal over "silver" labs,like myself. If had to do it over again, I would not change anything. So in your thinking all the puppies from the litter we picked him out from are not real labs either even though they are the "correct color"? How many members here may not have real labs.Maybe the litter they got theres from had a silver lab or the mom/dad produced a silver lab at one time.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We know that - I'm just suggesting, that knowing how many people here feel about the subject of "silver labs", if you want to glean the knowledge of the forum, then tell and ask about your puppy, but don't rub the "silver" part in. We will support you and your puppy, we don't suppport the breeding of silver labs.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
You are promoting the breeder by telling everyone who asks where you got it. If you know your silver "lab" is controversial, then you should tell people straight out that he's a weim/lab mix - regardless of the fact that you got him from a "breeder" who showed you two labs, he's not 100% pure, and to say otherwise is deceitful.

Where you say to look at him, he looks all lab and will only look more lab as time goes on - if that's what you need to tell yourself, then so be it, but don't try telling us that.

We know our breed inside out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We know that - I'm just suggesting, that knowing how many people here feel about the subject of "silver labs", if you want to glean the knowledge of the forum, then tell and ask about your puppy, but don't rub the "silver" part in. We will support you and your puppy, we don't suppport the breeding of silver labs.
Im not rubbing in the silver part.He is what he is.If I did not state what color he is someone would of brought it up anyways. Dont we all brag about our dogs?Is that not what this forum is about also?How many threads are on here where someone states there dogs color?Is that rubbing it in also?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are promoting the breeder by telling everyone who asks where you got it. If you know your silver "lab" is controversial, then you should tell people straight out that he's a weim/lab mix - regardless of the fact that you got him from a "breeder" who showed you two labs, he's not 100% pure, and to say otherwise is deceitful.

Where you say to look at him, he looks all lab and will only look more lab as time goes on - if that's what you need to tell yourself, then so be it, but don't try telling us that.

We know our breed inside out.
No were am I being decietful. Im just stating on what I know just as you are.When people ask me where I got him what does the lab "community" want me to say? lol lol. If I would of got a proper "color" from the same litter you guys/gals would of not even questioned it.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
It's would have. Would have.

A weim is a weim, a lab is a lab and a lab/weim mix is apparently a silver lab. Something is off there, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

He's a cute puppy, there's no denying that. All puppies are cute.

The "lab community" would prefer you not to promote irresponsible backyard breeders, that's all - as yours is quite apparently one. Lots of us have made the backyard breeder mistake - I have - after I learned where I got her I didn't divulge where from to people - why promote irresponsible breeding? That's all we're trying to say. Instead of sending more unsuspecting people their way, educate them on a good breeder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's would have. Would have.

A weim is a weim, a lab is a lab and a lab/weim mix is apparently a silver lab. Something is off there, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

He's a cute puppy, there's no denying that. All puppies are cute.

The "lab community" would prefer you not to promote irresponsible backyard breeders, that's all - as yours is quite apparently one. Lots of us have made the backyard breeder mistake - I have - after I learned where I got her I didn't divulge where from to people - why promote irresponsible breeding? That's all we're trying to say. Instead of sending more unsuspecting people their way, educate them on a good breeder.
Thats the problem.If I would of got a black lab from the same breeder.Would of it been of ok to send anyone who ask me about him there way? Trust me I can understand where everyone is comming from.Keep the blood pure is what is what it comes down too.Finding the true blood is impossible these days.None of us really know if the dog they got may or may not have the silver gene in them to produce. Someone who is looking for a lab may or may not do a search online.Even if they do they will see silver labs breeders everywhere.Then they may think how cool it would be to have one.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
No were am I being decietful. Im just stating on what I know just as you are.When people ask me where I got him what does the lab "community" want me to say? lol lol. If I would of got a proper "color" from the same litter you guys/gals would of not even questioned it.
You're right about that.

My prediction is that you are quickly going to get mad at us, call us a bunch of elitists and leave the forum in a huff. Many, many people here have dogs from "backyard breeders" or rescue dogs where no one knows their history. And no one here cares - - we care about your dogs. Heck, some people don't even have labs - they have other kinds of dogs - so that's not the point. If you want to know what to tell people about your puppy, you say something like " there really isn't such a thing as a silver lab, but we didn't know that - come to find out , they all have a lot of wiemeriner in them - so any breeder that promotes "silver labs" really isn't doing the labrador breed any favors"

1 - 20 of 91 Posts