Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tragic story kept haunting me and I felt the grief the woman was feeling over the loss of her Dakota. Last night I created one of my portraits for her as a tribute to Dakota and sent her the link. She just wrote back:
"Oh my gosh that is the nicest thing, thank you so much, it is truly beautiful and I will treasure it always."
Hopefully it helped her a little. Here is the link to that portrait:

http://www.dukesimage.com/JL/dakota.bmp

This morning I received this message through the site I maintain about bloat:

"Jake's story was one I needed to read, I am sitting here anxiously awaiting more news from the vet, he had to perform surgery on my Gordon Setter, Dakota this morning for a twisted stomach. The only thing is treatment was delayed when I took him in yesterday at 4:00 p.m. I was told it was only allergies and a mild upper respiratory infection, sent me home. By 10:00 p.m. his stomach and rib cage were bloated and he tubed his stomach and relieved pressure. The tube was inserted so easily that he thought it must not be twisted. Treatment was delayed another 6 hours when he finally performed the surgery. A small section of his stomach does not have good color so we need to pray for that. Thanks for sharing your story and I hope Dakota has a great story to tell as Jake did."

I responded:
Thanks for your note. I am sending good thoughts and a prayer for Dakota.
John

Then I just got this note:
"John,
I'm sorry to tell you, but right after I emailed you yesterday I got a call from the vet and Dakota did not make it. It has been a real tough time. I'm hoping in time the pain will go away. Thanks for getting back to me. "

I am just absolutely outraged that a Vet could diagnose a bloat as "allergies and a mild upper respiratory infection". By the time the actual bloat showed it was too late to save this poor dog. I could not add to this woman's grief by telling her that her dog would probably have survived if they had originally diagnosed the problem correctly.
Also in her first email when she indicated that part of the stomach showed signs of necrosis I knew then that the prognosis would not be good.
I guess some Vets do not see enough cases of bloat to recognize it. I did once read a story that when a dog was taken in to a Vet for a distended stomach the Vet prescribed an antiacid and sent the dog home where it died a painful death a couple of hours later.

Sometimes maintaining this site is so depressing hearing such sad stories. They far outnumber the happy stories I receive.

Just a minute ago I received another email thanking me for my condolences. Attached was this photo of Dakota. Now I'm losing it again.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Re: Another Bloat Story and this one really burns me up.

Very sad. The site that you have. Does it give info about bloat? I would like to learn more about it.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts

How sad!! I'm one of those that makes my vet run every test possible if I'm frightened. Those poor folks..... :'(

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Thanks. GOing to check it out now.

I think it's great that you have that info up and are sharing you and jakes story. I have heard of bloat, but really wasnt sure what it was.

I know the sad stories make it hard, but just giving that info out and maybe helping so many other dogs is well worth it.

Thank you !

·
Registered
6,666 Posts

So sad. That poor dog. I'm sorry you get all the sad stories, but your website does a lot of good.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

How absolutely horrible... Godspeed Dakota

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Even more reason to educate pet owners. Poor Dakota - he was beautiful! What a tragic loss.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Thanks John, for passing this on..it is soooo sad about the Gorden Setter. We had an irish setter that had bloat once..she pulled thru..I feel so bad for this person.
Your pages are lovely, Duke is so handsome..
Jackie

·
Registered
5,503 Posts

Run free, Dakota. He was so beautiful. :'( I would be outraged, too, if I was the owner. I would be looking to report this vet to some state licensing agency or something that must exist to report incompetency. There is just no excuse to misdiagnoze a dog so blatantly.

·
Registered
107 Posts

oh goodness... thanks for posting the info about bloat. I have heard of it but didn't really know too much about it. After reading that, I am worried about my 2 labs.....they eat their food so fast. I feed them twice a day, but any ideas of how to slow down there eating?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

What a beautiful Gordon. Now I'm losing it too. :'(

Bless her heart, I feel so much for her. It reminds me of Crash. I was also not there when he passed, and that made it so much worse. He didn't bloat, but I was so afraid that's what it was. I only learned about it that night, on the internet, as he was having symptoms. Had never heard of it before then. As soon as I read a little about it, that's when we rushed him to the emergency vet.

I, too, got jerked around by emergency vets, who sent Crash home on Reglan for an upset tummy. :'( The next morning his regular vet decided maybe surgery was in order, but Crash was in such terrible shape by then. He made it through the surgery, my tough guy, but never made it out of recovery.

My heart just hurts for this girl. I am crying. Please tell her I am so sorry.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

What a senseless loss. :'( Dakota was beautiful. I have a special place in my heart for Gordon's.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

Poor thing Some vets just like some human doctors are way to fast to throw some pills at them and send them on the way. It disgusts me. Run free Dakota.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts

How sad. It is so important to be aware of these life threatening situations. I feel so bad for Dakota's family. He was beautiful. I know I am a bit "pushy" at the vets, but I would rather have it be nothing, then have a life threatening situation & be told to go home. :mad:

Run free Dakota. :'(

·
Registered
16,476 Posts

Very sad. Seems like a senseless untimely death for Dakota.
Run free, Dakota.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

How awful! :'(

Godspeed Dakota.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Unfortunatley there ARE vets out there just like this one..... I don't know if they think owners are being paranoid, or what...... it's a very sad ending for that beautiful dog...... as owners we need to educate ourselves so we can step in when the vet hasn't a clue.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

Oh no...I had never seen a Gordon but based on Dakota's picture they are very beautiful. I love Dakotas color. So unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts