Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO...I'm not having one. :D My pregnant SIL and her husband are coming to visit in a few weeks, and since I won't be able to attend any of her showers, I am throwing her my own "mini" shower.

She has not registered anywhere yet, so I'm trying to think of things to get her that you can never have too many of.

So far, I've gotten her a sling. I'm also getting one of these:

Tee hee... although that one's more for me. ;D I married into a family of Bears fans.

So what inexpensive baby things did you never have enough of? Pacifiers, bottles, onesies? Anything else?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't have kids...yet....but every baby shower I attend I purchase a pacifier thermometer. You can find them at Target and Babies R Us (other places too I'm sure).

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maggiesparents said:
I don't have kids...yet....but every baby shower I attend I purchase a pacifier thermometer. You can find them at Target and Babies R Us (other places too I'm sure).
Oooh, good idea!

I had to look that up to see what it even was.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The inner ear thermometers are the most accurate (aside from good old rectal :p) recieving/spit up blankets are always needed, gift certificates to department stores are gold(so she can buy what she wants later) are nice, they can be used for diapers or whatever. Cute onesie!! Do you know if she's planning on nursing? she may not need bottles. Also, many babies who have pacifiers only like a particular kins (some are silicone, some latex) and they come in different sizes...better to let mom select things like bottles & pacifiers...imo.
baby monitor? The sling is awesome, I loves my slings. What about a baby tub? not a necessity, but nice to have. Or a gift for when baby is a few months old, lke a booster chair for when he/she begins solids? Just a few ideas. ;)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
One of my most treasured gifts when I was pregnant with my dd was a silver picture frame that had spaces to have her stats engraved. It had baby items around it to make it known that it was a baby frame. I just really love it.

A new mom can never have too many onsies for the baby. I also loved the baby sleeping gowns. I didn't think I'd use them, but my dd was jaundice and came home with a bili-blanket and had to wear it all day and all night. The gowns were a godsend. And I ended up loving them for night time diaper changes.

If she plans to nurse- what about getting her a new nursing night gown? Or PJ set?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I gave my SIL a booster seat that folds up. It was great for taking to visit family that didn't have a high chair as it did have a tray and strapped onto a chair. They also took to to movies and such. A friend at work recently went to a resturant supply store and got a box of something like these for a baby shower gift they have tape to tape them to the table.
http://www.amazon.com/Neat-Solutions-50-count-Disposable-Placemats/dp/B000068OJ5

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys, these are great ideas!! Keep them coming!

I'm actually getting excited to buy this stuff (and I've always shyed away from the baby sections of stores). :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I always loved giving items like maybe some nice baby wash/lotion (something mom might not buy herself like California Baby, Burt's Bees etc.) and some very soft washcloths and bath toys. You could get a bunch of bath related things (wash, lotion, nail clippers, washcloths, diaper cream, towels, pj's, etc.) and put it in a baby bathtub. Also I've given food related things like bowls/spoons along with a baby food book and some organic baby oatmeal, organic biter biscuits and organic baby food. I alwasy loved getting that kind of stuff because I knew I'd definitely use it. :) Shopping for babies is so much fun!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If you opt to get onesies, try to find the ones that snap all the way open. They will have snaps down the front and in the crotch area. These are great b/c when the baby inevitability has a poop or barf issue, the onesie doesn't have to come off over the head.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I always loved the gowns in the very beginning because until the cord falls off it's hard to put a tight onesie over that area.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Onesies, pajamas, a special blanket, a basket of medical things (Infant tylenol, mylicon, vaseline, thermometor), Butt Paste, burp cloths, baby lotion, baby shampoo. Clothes for a bigger age like 6 months or more. Bottles are personal let her pick those out. I loved the Avent ones, Makenna did really with those and they didn't leak.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DIAPERS :) Onesies and pjs definately can't have too many of those. An umbrella stroller for when the baby is a little bigger. If she's going to nurse-I LOVED my Boppy pillow and would recommend one.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Is she going with cloth or disposable diapers? There are some super cute cloth ones out there (like fuzzybunz); its kind of like collecting dog collars. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts