Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our annuals today, all 3 boys at once. For a whopping $520 ::) they got their rabies and distemper, their heartworm test, two month supply of heartworm meds, two month supply of flea and tick stuff and we learned that Jake weighed in at 77 lbs (8 lbs. less than last year), Duncan is now at 73 lbs (3 pounds MORE than last year), and Max at his usual 66 lbs...the same for the last 3 years!!

The doc was thrilled at how toned and muscular Jake and Duncan are and he was impressed by their soft and shiny coats (due to the fish oil I'm sure). BTW, if anyone's interested he recommends olive oil specifically from Greece or Italy if you don't give fish oil. They're very high in the polysaturated fats, which is good for the skin.

I spoke to the vet about the food recall and about my interest in feeding RAW. He shared that over 300 clients brought their pets in for bloodwork following the recall and NOT A ONE TESTED POSITIVE. He highly advised against feeding raw due to concerns of salmonella and a number of much more serious illesses as a result. This surprised me, he has always been willing to try a holistic approach before prescribing meds so I thought he'd like the raw idea, but nada to that. Jake will remain on the purple ear solution for an ear infection we discovered 2 nights ago...my vet loves that solution! Poor Jake yelped when the vet used that long ear thingy to see inside.

Oh, and he clipped their nails for free!!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ouch is right!

I had Mags, Ru, and Rem in on Saturday. Mags and Ru got heartworm test and checkup. Rem got his final shots and rabies. $281.00.

Everything is SO expensive anymore.

D

·
0 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
We had our annuals today, all 3 boys at once. For a whopping $520 ::) they got their rabies and distemper, their heartworm test, two month supply of heartworm meds, two month supply of flea and tick stuff and we learned that Jake weighed in at 77 lbs (8 lbs. less than last year), Duncan is now at 73 lbs (3 pounds MORE than last year), and Max at his usual 66 lbs...the same for the last 3 years!!

The doc was thrilled at how toned and muscular Jake and Duncan are and he was impressed by their soft and shiny coats (due to the fish oil I'm sure). BTW, if anyone's interested he recommends olive oil specifically from Greece or Italy if you don't give fish oil. They're very high in the polysaturated fats, which is good for the skin.

I spoke to the vet about the food recall and about my interest in feeding RAW. He shared that over 300 clients brought their pets in for bloodwork following the recall and NOT A ONE TESTED POSITIVE. He highly advised against feeding raw due to concerns of salmonella and a number of much more serious illesses as a result. This surprised me, he has always been willing to try a holistic approach before prescribing meds so I thought he'd like the raw idea, but nada to that. Jake will remain on the purple ear solution for an ear infection we discovered 2 nights ago...my vet loves that solution! Poor Jake yelped when the vet used that long ear thingy to see inside.

Oh, and he clipped their nails for free!!
Wow!!! If I were in your shoes I would look into getting the meds elsewhere. There is a really significant markup at the vets.

Not sure that the salmonella argument holds water. Do not feed raw myself, but in prior discussions on this heard that due to the difference in physiology dogs are not susceptible to this. Anyone feeding raw agree?

edited because I spelled a word wrong --- hate that.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The impression I get is that your vet's reaction to feeding raw was knee-jerk, and maybe something made from inexperience (as in not feeding raw himself, not that he's not a good vet).

I don't feed raw, and I certainly don't know everything about the pros/cons of feeding it, but I would get a 2nd opinion before deciding NOT to feed it, if I were you. JMHO :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you have pet insurance? I would get it...ouch is right!

I didn't know about pet insurance before, but now I do, and I plan on getting it when I get my anymore pets.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Not sure that the salmonella argument holds water. Do not feed ram myself, but in prior discussions on this heard that due to the difference in physiology dogs are not susceptible to this. Anyone feeding raw agree?

I raw feed my ferrets. No, dogs, cats and ferrets have uniquely adapted digestive systems (either highly acidic or rapid transit) that don't allow a favorable environment for salmonella to take hold. Nature equipped them with this cuz its not like they can cook up their food in little hibachis in their dens in the wild.

The main argument regarding raw and salmonella is that it can be shed in the stools and saliva of the animal. BUT unless you are severly immuno suppressed (HIV/AIDS) or you are frail and elderly or super young, you really aren't at much risk for getting salmonella from your pet. Its important to be aware of, but its easily avoided with proper precautions.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
just wanted to add:

I feel your pain. I have 6 ferrets and every time one of them needs a vet visit its DOUBLE the cost of a dog/cat. Even if they are getting the same procedures done as my dog/cat it still costs twice as much. I have a blood glucose test, and echocardiogram, x-rays, and an ultrasound coming up for Hendrix.....<crying> this is gunna cost me a fourtune. I second the motion of getting pet insurance.

If you go with VPI you can get 'routine care coverage' and you can pick between like bloodwork or teeth cleaning and you also get heartworm/flea and tick meds and routine shots all covered in your plan. Its really nice.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I love getting the vet bill...not! Yikes! My girlies are worth every penny.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Wow is right! :eek: :eek:

But $173 per dog does sound quite reasonable.
Glad everyone is fine!!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
zoesmom said:
Wow is right! :eek: :eek:

But $173 per dog does sound quite reasonable.
Glad everyone is fine!!
Hey that is reasonable.Heartguard alone is 60 bucks per dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts