·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Uh Oh! Bob!

Are we giving our dogs human traits here? I do, but I thought it was frowned upon by the scientific community.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed, around the beginning of the 20th century (and shortly before) there was a strong tendency to anthropomorphize (attribute human traits to animals) so much so that animal scientists reacted strongly against the slightest whiff of that.

However, in recent years, there's been more research identifying core emothional states and Dr. Temple Grandin is basing her latest book on some of this.

The Amazon customer reviews are interesting -- I'm going to see if our library has this latest book.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Bob, great article - thanks for posting!

I actually have a copy of Animals in Translation. My aunt gave it to me and said she thought I'd enjoy it. I'm embarrassed to say I have never gotten around to reading it. But now I will - it just moved way up in the queue. ;)

I think this is a very astute observation:

She adds: “The more I observe and learn about how dogs are kept today, I am more convinced that many cattle have better lives than some of the pampered pets. Too many dogs are alone all day with no human or dog companions.”
I am becoming more interested in this phenomena; As pets are more integrated into households, are they suffering for it? I don't want to sound all PETA :laugh: , but I do think it's something to think about. For example, we keep the boys inside. Because of Angus' tendency to eat non-food items, and Simon's tendency to dig, they are never, ever outside unattended. They go out twice a day for fetch, and twice a day for walks. But sometimes I wonder: Is this really natural? Does this make them unhappy? Would they feel more complete if they were allowed to defend our yard from squirrels and eat grass whenever they wanted? If there was more autonomy in their lives, if they were allowed to make some decisions for themselves, would they feel more satisifed?

I start feeling guilty about this from time to time, and I will put them outside the back door and say, "Go play!" They stand there and look at me as though I've lost my mind until I open the door and let them back in or go outside with them. Oh well, so much for that! :laugh:

I guess the bottom line of what she is saying is, spend time with your dogs. That's the most important thing to them, I suppose.

Anyway! Good article! Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've read her first book. It was VERY interesting to me. Thanks for posting that there is a second one. I'll put it on my wish list.

Frances

1 - 6 of 6 Posts