Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to say that our boy is doing much better tonight. Oh, he still looks like he's been to war, but he is up walking around some, and we even took a short walk down the street and there was a little spring in his step. He's eating and drinking. No poopie tonight because of the abbreviated walk, but we'll try again later.

As for me, I'm doing worse. This has all been very confusing and hard to get my head around what to do next. :(

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm so glad he's doing better. Are he and Simon getting along again, or are you keeping them apart for now? I'm really feeling for you.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Connie, I'm so very glad Angus is feeling a bit more like himself, and you are in my prayers. Hang in there.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm glad he's feeling better and that you're feeling better about him. How are the dogs getting along now?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I totally can understand why you are feeling this way. Your 2 sons are basically at war with one another and you are feeling completely powerless about how to resolve things.
My heart goes out to you, Connie and I am glad to hear Angus is feeling better. I'll be including you guys in my prayers. Hang in there and let's hope they worked out whatever
was simmering between them.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your 2 sons are basically at war with one another and you are feeling completely powerless about how to resolve things.
That pretty well sums it up, I guess. I love them both, and I realize both are partially to blame, and I really don't know how to resolve it.

My greatest fear when this happened last time was that Simon came so close to Angus' eye. Now he's come even closer, and we are SO lucky Angus' eye seems like it will be OK. But next time, will he blind Angus? This is where I keep going in my head. I think everything else I could deal with and wouldn't be having such a hard time. But this is Angus' sight.

Pat, we're keeping them apart for several days at least. Simon's been in the Florida room and Angus has been in the living room with me so I can watch him and nurse him. We just put Angus in a soft crate in the bedroom and brought Simon into the living room so hopefully he won't feel like he's been totally ex-communicated. But at the moment he's in his hidey-hole behind Kevin's chair. :(

Kevin was so sweet a minute ago. He said, "Connie, please don't feel like this is the weight of the world on your shoulders. It's not. It's just a fight - we got them through it last time, and we will again. Please try to think of something else tonight, OK?"

I said, "OK. Maybe I'll read a book."

Kevin said, "NOT a dog book."

LOL He knows me too well. I am going to try to read a book that doesn't have to do with dog behavior.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Glad to hear Angus is doing better, Connie. I can't even imagine how you're feeling. Kevin was right--I hope you were able to do something that was a good distraction for a bit. I hope you can gain some insight into this incident in the next few weeks, between yourselves and your behaviorist. Scratches to both boys from all of us.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Aww, Connie. I know how that feels. I'm glad that Angus is doing better, and you WILL get a handle on this. Plus, you need to focus your energy on whether or not you're going to have new neighbors! ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm glad he's doing better too. How often do they fight? Is it a lot or is this one of the few times? My sister's dogs used to fight a lot until she figured out what the stimulant was ... anything that could be competition. Eg. A ball being thrown. One was a lab-x and the other a dalmatian, both female. I'm just wondering if perhaps there is a stimulant you could pinpoint and remove. Obviously they need the behaviorist as well, you're doing the right thing there.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww, Connie. I know how that feels. I'm glad that Angus is doing better, and you WILL get a handle on this. Plus, you need to focus your energy on whether or not you're going to have new neighbors! ;)
:D Maybe soon?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad he's doing better too. How often do they fight? Is it a lot or is this one of the few times? My sister's dogs used to fight a lot until she figured out what the stimulant was ... anything that could be competition. Eg. A ball being thrown. One was a lab-x and the other a dalmatian, both female. I'm just wondering if perhaps there is a stimulant you could pinpoint and remove. Obviously they need the behaviorist as well, you're doing the right thing there.
It has happened a handful of times. The last time was two years ago, when we called in a behaviorist and she gave us lots of good advice. We thought we had a handle on it...and it might not have happened again if Dad hadn't decided to come over and do us all a favor by letting them out. :( Our behaviorist said it might have been competition over him, or competition over something he was doling out...I don't know, and he doesn't remember. He has no idea what their triggers are, what the warning signs are, or even that this could happen.

Anyway, we do know what their triggers are (food, toys, squirrels...anything that could be seen as a resource), and we have been very careful about those things. So far it hasn't been over attention or a person, but that may have been it in this case. It would be so helpful if I had at least seen it.

I'm so exhausted. I feel like I have someone in the hospital. Sleeping, but waking up tired anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts