Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a LONG personal health story.

About 8 years ago, I had a partial hysterectomy (uterus and cervix were removed, ovaries stayed) due to endometreosis. I thought my girlie problem days were over. Apparently, not. Fast forward to this past Sunday

Hubby and I were vacationing at our cottage near Sauble Beach, Ontario. The cottage is located about 3 miles back in the bush accessable by ATV or Skidoo in the winter months. The weekend was like any other until Sunday morning. Around 8:30am, I awoke with the most painful of pains in my lower left abdomen. At first, I thought it was a really bad bowel cramp and that going would solve it. Well, I was shortly proved wrong. I let this carry on for about 20 mins when I finally had hubby take me out to the main house. The ATV ride itself almost made me pass out. We get to the main house - my Mom was there ready to take me in the to hospital. I had asked hubby to stay behind, close up the cottage and get us ready to head back to the city as I was convinced that this was still somehow bowel related.
Mom takes me in to the local rural hospital. As I was not walking vertical, I didn't have to wait long before I was taken back. The Doctor on call turned out to be my Mom's doc - that worked out well. After an initial exam, he was convinced it was one to two thing, impacted bowel or ovarian cyst. Xrays were ordered and the supported the later - impacted bowel. This was treated accordingly. However, the treatment did nothing to releive the pain. Upon further examination, the doc was able to pinpoint the pain trigger. Being a rural hospital, they do not have the additional equipment to deal with this any further. I was transfered to the Reginal Health Centre - a half hour away, for an emergency Ultrasound and CT Scan. The time is now 12:30.
The ultrasound revealed very little as the left ovary was not visible. Off to CT. That was an experience I never want to repeat. The flow rate for the dye was never adjusted for someone with small viens. If anyone has ever expeinced this sensation - they can attest to its discomfort. Once the flow rate was reduced,the dye was injected and the test proceeded. Now, I wait, again, for the results.
It's about 3:30 now. The radiologist says that my Dr. A (from the rural hospital) was to talk to me. I get on the phone and he begins to explain the results... I have (approximatley) a 7cm mass attached to my left ovary. The weight of the mass have caused the ovary to twist. Also, there is significant fluid in the abdomen that appears to be blood. Dr. A is transferring my cause to an OBGYN for further treatment. The only question is wether I stay at the regoinal centre or send me back to home to Hamilton.... The masses agree - I should stay here. At 4:30, I am finally admitted and given IV fluids and thankfully, Morephine. Some relief, at last. I am now waiting for the OB to arrive. She comes in, speaks to me briefly, yet another internal exam is performed... now decision time. She feels that with the size of the mass, there are too many unknowns for the centre to handle and wants me transfered to a larger centre - namely back home to Hamilton. Dr. B tried for a helicopter medivac, but the freezing rain made it too dangerous to fly, so I had to settle for light and sirens, and my own personal nurse / guardian angel to get me back to Hamilton.
It'a now 9:30 - I arrive in Hamilton. The rest of the night is pretty uneventful. They keep my full of morephine, consciouness comes and goes. The next morning, I am accosted by 3 medical residents. one who was a tad bit overzealous in his internal - throat punch crossed my mind... I see the oncologist - they want to do another ultrasound - because they don't trust what the other hospitals do... even though during my transfer, I came complete with a CD which contained the results of the CT and Ultrasound performed the day before. My ultrasound was completed at 3:30. About 4:15, all hell broke loose. More accutaley, the mass/cyst fully ruptured. I was hysterical with pain, crying uncontrollably - the nurses have maxed me out on meds - they call in the doc. He says to me, your pain has convinced me, we are doing surgery. Less that 40 minutes later, I was in the OR.
I guess when they opened me up, they saw the culprit right away. To be more accuarte, the mass/cyst was 6.7 cms in diameter, had twisted twice and had fully ruptured, filling my abdomen with blood - this was the cause of the real pain. The left ovary was removed, I was cleaned out and stapled back up.
I remember waking in recovery. Hubby was there - I said to him, the pain is gone! I had never felt so much relief in my life.
Recovery over the past few days has been slow. The post surgery rules after a hysterecomy, apply.
My followup with the cancer clinic is on Jan 30. I should have the pathology results back by then.

If you read this, thanks fo listening. I just needed a place, with some anonymity, to let it all out.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Prayers and thoughts - and what a concise "let it all out" that was. Hope you heal quickly and have a non cancerous result! Glad the pain is over for the most part!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wow.. how horrible. Thoughts and prayers for a clean path report and some quick healing

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
(((((HUGS))))) You poor thing! :( I am so glad it's over and you no longer have that horrible pain. Prauers and good wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery and report of benign for the cyst.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Holy Crap!!! What an ordeal!
Good Healing Thoughts for you!!!

Good thing you got transferred to Hamilton.

Good Wishes for a clean path report.

PS.My sister works at Hamilton General.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
WOW! You poor thing. Best of lucjk for your recovery and good test results. Regarding the hospitals repeating the tests, that's SOP. I think all hospitals do that. When my Mom first got sick the first hospital missed the mass she had with their CT at the local podunk hospital. U of M found it. Good luck to you what a horrible experience. Did they take only the one ovary?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
holy fack, Nikki.. that's brutal! I'm glad it's over with and you're on the road to recovery, though.. although good for you for making the road that much more interesting by starting off in the middle of nowhere =)

Oh and.. i have to ask.. hubby? Did you run off and get married w/o telling me?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
holy macadamia nuts!

What an ordeal you've been through. Here's to a speedy recovery! And a clean report.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry all of that happened. :( Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery and good test results.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Oh honey...I'm so glad the pain is gone now. I was clinching my teeth while reading that but didn't realize it until I was finished. It sounds like you've been through hell.
I'm going to add my good vibes to everyone else's. Hopefully everything comes back clean. Big hugs to you!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Good grief! I hope the path comes back clean and your ordeal is over soon. Good healing thoughts to you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone.

I'm not sure why I found it necessary to put the times in....for some reason, they stuck out... probably because everything seemed to happen on the half hour... :suspious:

Yep - I still have one ovary. They checked the right when they were in there. Although small, it is healthy. Had it not been, then would have removed it.

No Kel - I didn't get married, but after this past week, I'd marry him in a heartbeat :)) He followed the ambulance down, was there when I went into the OR, there when I got out, came in to see me before he went to work (at 6:30am) - the nurses snuck him in, and he was there after to visit after work. He is a treasure.... Oh and we bought a house together :))

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
You did buy it? Good! I can't wait to see pics =)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts