Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.....it's been awhile since I have been on here and didn't realize they moved to a new site. I had to re-register.
Anyway, we've been through the Kentucky ice storm, my husband's surgery, and my 5 yr old male labs anal gland surgery. WEW!!!!!! it's been crazy:eek:
Anyway, my lab now has terrible gas and is very loud at times. Mainly when he barks, he farts:eek: and it kinda scares him.
I changed food awhile back also but my yellow lab is not having this so I don't know what to think.
Any advice......I put them on Diamond Naturals. They were on TOTW for almost a year, but it's just too expensive. Even dogs are effected by the economy:rolleyes:
Thanks in advance
Tina

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had to laugh too when you said he kind of scares himself farting.

My uncle's dog had its' anal glands removed, but did not have this problem.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to spread laughter:D ha ha
The vet called back and said it must be the food. I do know that everyone said Diamond naturals was a good food. I may just try it a little longer. He'll just have to keep thinking somethings behind him:D

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it's tough in this economy to be feeding a high-priced, premium dog food but Diamond Naturals is either a 2 or 3-star food (depending on which one you get) which isn't very impressive:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/5/page/9

Also has menadione bisulfite which is an ingredient that is controversial in that a lot of people in the know says causes cancer (I believe it's synthetic Vit K). I will not buy any dog food that has that ingredient. You have to do your research & get the best food you can for the money.

ETA: Not all foods agree with all dogs either.......there could be something in DN that just doesn't agree with your dog. I'd try a small bag of something else to see if that helps.

A neighbor had her dog's anal glands removed & I haven't heard her complain about anything like gas. I do suspect the food may have something to do with it.

On the lighter side (can't tell a lot of people about this.......they would think I was a very sick person): now & again Hannah has gas but they are almost always SBD (silent but deadly). One day she was going up the stairs & let loose with a really loud fart (I happened to be coming up behind her). She stopped dead in her tracks, turned around & looked at her rear end & then at ME (like I had done it?)........I don't know why it struck me so funny but I was outside laughing hysterically hoping nobody would go by & ask me what was so funny.

I think Labs are great comedians.......this is my second Lab & both of them make me laugh......a lot.:D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I :D too when you said he scares himself barking and farting. That needs to be video'd!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on the gassy.....I went back to TOTW and everybody's happy. No more loud noises:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts