Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the classroom across from our office area, the college holds a class for HS juniors and seniors called Upward Bound so they can get a taste of what college will be like.

Today one of the caretakers from the local zoo brought a Macaw and an Owl. I have never seen a Macaw up close and personal like that but that was one beautiful bird. They can snap a finger off though, and are not social animals. The caretakes made friends with the macaw and was part of his flock. He said the Macaw was 70 years (that's real year!) and that in the wild their life expectancy is about 70 years. I figure as pampered as these birds are, this one might make 90! lol

The owl was found by a farmer when it was a baby bird. The farmer took it home, and for 11 years, fed it scrambled eggs for breakfast, and the Owl basically spent the first 11 years of its life as a couch Owl! When the farmer died, his family found that it was a federal offense to have an Owl as a pet so Thurston Owl III wound up being papmpered the zoo! BTW, the Owl never learned to fly, but he is on his usual diet of rats, and other rodents. lol.

That was very interesting and I thought you guys would enjoy hearing about it!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Thurston Owl III may be the best name ever.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
We have a blue and gold macaw that comes into my store in the summer. I think he is called Lewis. He is a stitch!! He insists that everyone hold him and kiss him. SUPER sweet bird. I have an obsession with birds and often get called the bird whisperer. LOL
I love birds. Wild, domesticated..you name it.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I do find birds of prey amazing exept the time an owl swooped over my head by inches at night when Kramer was just a pup!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts