Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Reminds me of when my Dad passed away two months before their 50th. My Mom was pissed cause they didn't make it to 50. Told me she always wanted to be able to tell people they'd been married 50 years. Frankly I think she still kind of holds it against him.

Are you going to call your Mom? I'm never sure what to do; it's not like you can say congratulations so I'm always torn about whether to bring it up at all. What if they didn't notice the date and all you do is make them feel badly?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Golfgirlrobin said:
Reminds me of when my Dad passed away two months before their 50th. My Mom was pissed cause they didn't make it to 50. Told me she always wanted to be able to tell people they'd been married 50 years. Frankly I think she still kind of holds it against him.

Are you going to call your Mom? I'm never sure what to do; it's not like you can say congratulations so I'm always torn about whether to bring it up at all. What if they didn't notice the date and all you do is make them feel badly?
I'll probably drop by this weekend, but I doubt I'll mention it. Mom's not to good about remembering things nowadays.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Wow. That would have been a huge milestone. Keep an eye on your mom - you may think she's forgotten it among all the things she's forgetting lately, but she could very well remember this one and be super depressed this week. Give her a call tonite just for the heck of it and tell her you love her.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
She can still say she was married 50 years, it's only 1 out of 50...

sorry for your loss Dan.

·
0 Posts
Hang in there, Dan. Think of all the great years you had together - not on the "could have beens."

I know how you feel, though. I miss my dad too and he's been gone 10 years now. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts