Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was here

http://www.bwydance.com/index.shtml

She's been dancing since about age six. Now studies Jazz, Ballet, and Tap. And I'd be lying if I didn't confess to being VERY proud of her......

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
How cool!

Though I confess that webaddress looked like "bellydance" to me at first and I was like... WOW... really? :D

If she loves it I hope she finds a way to keep it in her life. I loved to dance as a kid and lately have only really done some "around the house dancing" while cleaning or whatever. Contra dancing the other week was a huge wakeup call to me that I had been missing that activity in my life.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's so funny. She'll watch her sister (DW#2) play flute and hear me each Sunday and lament: "I'm not musical! I can't play an instrument and can't sing worth a ****..."

And I want to bean her!

I tell her that with those taps on her feet, she can take a beat. And sub-divide it. And sub-divide it again. And then syncopate it. And deal with tempo changes, etc.

And she's not MUSICAL?!?!?!?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Cool, Dan. What is her ultimate goal with the dancing?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Tell her to always keep dance a part of her life if she loves it. I danced for years as a kid and now regret deeply not keeping it up. I now get in trouble for tap dancing under the table at restaurants when a snappy tune comes on.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, Dan. What is her ultimate goal with the dancing?
I wish I knew.... She'd like to major in it in college. I'd be okay w/that as long as she minored (or double-majored) in something more marketable. Eileen is TOTALLY against it, wanting her to go to college ONLY for something that will create a bona fide career path for her.

As someone who ignored talent and chose other career paths -- only to regret them in middle-age -- I'm more willing to be encouraging for Amanda to dream while she's young.

We'll see.

Does your oldest ever play flute at church with you?
The flautist is the middle-button, Claire (12 y.o.). She has played flute for some of the kids' liturgies thru school but nothing on Sundays yet. I would love to groom her for that, though. When she's ready....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Eileen is TOTALLY against it, wanting her to go to college ONLY for something that will create a bona fide career path for her.

As someone who ignored talent and chose other career paths -- only to regret them in middle-age -- I'm more willing to be encouraging for Amanda to dream while she's young.
That's really interesting, Dan. I hope you are encouraging her and trying to change Eileen's mind, based on your personal experience. I like the idea of majoring in dance and minoring in something else as a backup. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Wow! Did she have a wonderful time??

I hope she does continue on with it in college if that is what she really loves. I can see Eileen's side of the coin, too. But I think our job as parents is to sit back and let our kids decide what to do with their futures and just advise as they ask. Of course I say that and I am so not ready to do that! LOL

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She had an AMAZING time. And I think it was a great educational experience for her dancewise. The studio runs like a Y, in that people can join for a membership fee and pop in for classes as they want (and room allows).

The kids from her studio were mixed in w/the everyday clientele of the school. Amanda said she was amazed at the strength/grace of the male ballet dancers, for example, something she's never experienced at our little neighborhood studio.

Unless she was merely ogling.

She also said there was a man who she estimated to be in his 60s who tapped like a 20 y.o. He was a whirlwind!!

Tons of posters on the wall of shows where the students have appeared or are appearing: Billy Elliot, Thoroughly Modern Millie, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
As someone who is encouraging my musician son to follow his bliss, I fully agree with you Dan. I think it is sad that college education now seems to always = career path. It was not always thus.

And as I think about it - post HS does not need to mean traditional college necessarily for an artist. One of the boys in my older son's HS class went straight from HS to the ABT. He had been dancing since he was 5 or 6.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes, I too hope that she can keep it a part of her life. It is such a beautiful and artistic talent! Both of my little sisters danced their entire lives, and neither one of them has stuck with it as adults. I miss watching them, and always think to myself what a wasted talent it is since they don't do it anymore.

She is lucky to have a father that is as supportive and proud as you are.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Dan, the girl down my street was much like Amanda, she lived to dance and danced to live. Against her parents wishes (they are both high school teachers) she majored in dance and now has her own dance school in NYC and is doing very well for herself. She has bought an townhouse in the city and has made a profit for 3 years! (the school has been open 4 years). Try and encourage Amanda to follow her heart and encourage Eileen to be heard but to allow Amanda to do what she thinks is best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts