Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago today and after a lengthy illness, we lost our beloved Maine Coon kitty, Sherman, to FIP. I still cannot look at a picture of him without getting teary-eyed, and I find myself getting super-emotional abut the smallest things. (OK, there's been a lot of stress in addition to that, but losing him was absolutely the worst of a rough couple of weeks.) I will always miss him, and I know I will never find a "replacement". He was truly special.

We have three other kitties, all of whom I adore (and one I love in particular). We are not lacking for furry-love in our house, and it is rather a lot of animals: two dogs, three cats.

But. I started looking on Petfinder for Maine Coon rescues. I've actually sent emails asking for more infomation about two of them, and I heard back from one rescue almost immediately with information and asking me to fill out an application. They seem really nice, and the cat in question is gorgeous - maybe a mix, but mostly MC, orange, handome, and about a year old, maybe a little more.

Mark says he'd like to stay a three-cat family. But. He fessed up to looking at rescue and breeder sites already, too. I think he'd be fine if the right cat came along. I personally feel strongly about going the rescue route this time.

Am I nuts to be doing this? This soon? I just feel like Sherman left such a void that might - just might - be somewhat filled if we could give love to another kitty who needs it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
NO you are not crazy just grieving. I look at petfinder all the time, I emailed about a few dogs that looked like my Sassy who died in Dec.

(((HUGS)))

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
not crazy at all. every person is different. i have always found comfort with a puppy (or in this case kitty) in the house. helps take away a lot of that sadness and focus on a new life in need. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't think it's crazy at all.
Everytime I've lost a pet, I go right out and get another one. It's my way of coping. I love the sound of a puppy in the house, after dealing with elderly dog issues. It's like a renewal for me.

I'm sorry about the loss of your lovely MC.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Ursula, this is exactly why we rescued Buddy two weeks to the day after we lost Shadow. Granted, we were a one-dog household and Bill was gone, so the house was just so empty, but I understand what you are feeling. Go for it.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Not crazy at all. I view it as a loving tribute to the kitty you just lost (RIP). When my Bonkers (18 year old Angora) died, I could not go 2 weeks before getting Belle. (Ya sure,18 year old white long haired cat to a 6 week old black lab puppy...yes 6 week old)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Not crazy at all Ursula. As soon as Jordan died, I couldn't bear it and was looking soon thereafter. Maybe a week. I just knew I couldn't do it alone - then along came Abzilla.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Ursula I just wanted to give you a (hug) I am sorry for your loss. I did not know your beautiful Sherman had crossed the rainbow bridge. xx

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just filled out and sent the application to the one rescue. We'll see. I want the right cat, not just any cat. But it seems like there's always so many out there in need that at least one will be "right"...

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Not crazy at all Ursula. As soon as Jordan died, I couldn't bear it and was looking soon thereafter. Maybe a week. I just knew I couldn't do it alone - then along came Abzilla.
That. Except in my case Sammy died and along came my beloved Frankie. I think it's perfectly normal and so many do it. It's not replacing the other one, it's giving another one your love. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts