Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gus was neutered on Tuesday, he started licking Tuesday night. Wensday we got him the cone collar. By Friday he figured out how to bend his body enough to lick his scrotum...but the problem is the cone collar is digging into his incision every time he licks himself. I tell him to knock it off when I hear him or see him, but at night he hides and does damage. I am trying underwear on him tonight but does anyone have some solution. His incision is very red and swollen.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Try getting a waste paper basket & making a collar out of that. I did it when my GSD had an eczema patch on her leg one time. If you can find one like this, they have a rounded top so no sharp edges to dig into them.

The good thing about these is they are air conditioned & the dog can still see out of the sides. :wink:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Garth, that is a really 'cool' idea!! Canula, the cone just needs to be longer and Gus should not be able to reach his incision area. The waste paper idea should be very customiszable.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That is pretty ingenious!

I saw someone post a picture the other day of an E-collar that had what looked like rubber padding on the edges. I wish I could remember who or what thread. Was it Chantel?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Maybe you could buy some sort of rubber edging and make something like that on your E-collar. Some kind of weatherstripping? Maybe an auto parts place would have something that would work?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Bite-Not Collar. Best thing ever! Kolby tried killing me when he had his cone on, even the "komfy" one, which is kind of like fabric. He knocked over everything and rammed into my legs.

Bite-Not collar won't work if it's on their front feet, but anything behind the neck, they can't turn. It's essentially a neck brace with a strap that goes behind the front legs so they can't get it off. It's important that it is long enough - has to go from the ears to the shoulders. Any shorter and they can turn.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. Garth, what a great idea...today gus has been pretty good. I actually took the cone off and am watching him. He is licking himself but I noticed from watching him he is licking mostly the areas that have been shaved. And he is good about stopping when I tell him. The underwear idea last night seemed to help buffer him so I might just stick with that for a few days...I think if we get past the next few days he should be good.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I used the Bite Not collar when Caleb was neutered. Worked great, once I put it on tight enough.

Garth- I love the waste basket! Sure beats the plastict paint bucket I cut the bottom out of when Mick was a pup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts