Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nails this year are making me nuts! Not that I ever have the longest of nails, but I am a recovering nail biter and obsess over the condition of my nails. I use the Sally Hanson maxi growth polish and do the 5 day program with that followed usually by 2 coats of polish and a quick dry top coat.

Now I do occasionally break down and peel the polish off in moments of frustration which I know is weakening the nails, but this year they are just in terrible condition! The are all splitting down the middle or peeling.

Other than the $20 plus Nailtiques polish or going for regular manicures (which my budget doesn't allow for) can anyone recommend something to help my poor shredded nails?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Vitamins. Nail health comes from inside, just like hair. How is your diet? You may be lacking in some essential nutrients. Cold pressed fish oil is amazing, and a side benefit is glossy hair & strong nails.

I take Nutra-Sea daily.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

make sure it's not a fungal infection...I just got diagnosed for that :(

here is an article
http://www.xomba.com/splitting_peeling_fingernails_causes_and_treatments

good luck
Ahhhh...well, I don't have any discoloration so I'm not concerned about fungus...but this rings loud and true to me:

Most causes of peeling fingernails are non-medical and are related to exposure of the nail to harsh chemicals or over exposure to water. This causes the nail to lose its natural oil and moisture barrier. Sometimes low humidity during the winter and even the natural aging process plays a role in robbing the nails of essential moisture
between washing my hands a million times to get rid of dog slobber and enabling my clean-freak side...I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

Is there a product out there that will protect my nails from this? I find my nailpolish peels off within a couple of days of application. :(

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
My nails aren't in the greatest condition, but since I started taking vitamins, they have been a LOT stronger and don't break or chip nearly as much.

I also found that using nail oil really helped mine out. I got a thing of Solar Oil at the store and you just brush a TINY bit of it on each nail and rub in it. It worked for me!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My grandma swears by taking a bit of ... gelatin (I think?) every day for hair and nails. I still remember when my cousins told me it was made from boiling horse hooves ::puke::

I use a cuticle oil on my super dry cuticles, and that seems to have helped my nails as well. It was cheap at the drug store, in a clear bottle and it's purplish liquid.

This was interesting:
Nutrition and Nails

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
my nails are not discolored either, and yes, I too use chemicals and wash my hands....a lot.

I truly hope yours in non-fungal, and can make a turnaround w/OTC items. : )

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have vertical ridges in my nails; no white spots or discoloration, just the ridges and they are very soft. They keep splitting vertically along the ridges. :(

I take supplements, vitamins (including B12 and a Super B complex), cold-pressed fish oils, everything recommended in that link. I do not have my hands in chemicals or even much water.

The only nail I have that grows and is strong is on the pinkie finger Buddy bit and smashed the nail bed and first knuckle! That one I have to trim down because it grows and is strong and healthy. Does this mean I need to smash all my fingers?!?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Try the three-pennies. Longer and tougher and will hold your framing together better.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Biotin. Make sure you're getting biotin in whatever multi-vitamin you're taking. I'm actually taking Sally Hansen nail vitamins right now.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Most nail polishes are made up of pretty toxic substances. I don't use any kind of polish. I do like using cuticle oil, though. I also take a multivitamin (gummy vitamins!) and 2000 mg of cold pressed fish oil each day. They carry a great fish oil at Costco...not the kirkland brand, but another variety using wild caught salmon. You want your nail to be strong, but to have a little bend. It's painful for them to bend backwards but better than having them split or break.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts