Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My vet suggested that Archie is confused about who is alpha in our house. My husband and I both feed Archie, walk/run him. Our son is three, yet Archie has been wonderful with him (although they are never left alone together).

I'd appreciate your input in regard to what my vet had to say, and that is that we should eat in front of Archie before we feed him in order to establish who is alpha. Has anyone ever done this and if so, did it work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathleen

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Are you having specific issues with Archie? In my experience, teaching a dog good manners has little to do with who eats first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kaytris said:
Are you having specific issues with Archie? In my experience, teaching a dog good manners has little to do with who eats first.
Just the general jumping up on adults and being kind of bitey. I know he's still a puppy, yet I was wondering if it's common to have this going on at this age. I don't understand why a vet (she's not our regular vet) would whack him on the jaw. I thought it was completely WRONG yet it wasn't hard, and it seemed to get his attention. I just have never had a vet do that. My gut feeling is that she's really old school. I know that labs can be challenging, but I don't think it's right or kind to smack him because it teaches him nothing, except to fear us.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I'd alpha roll the vet.

Seriously, no, it's not appropriate for a vet (or anyone) to discipline someone else's puppy without permission.

Start looking for a new vet, and if you haven't already, sign up for a positive-reinforcement based puppy kindergarten. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It completely surprised me, and I had no idea what to say at the time. I feel stupid now for not standing up for my dog. This was a vet at another office that we don't regularly go to, and I won't be going back. She was wrong and I was wrong for not calling her on it. I wouldn't let a pediatrician smack my kid, so why did I let her smack my dog?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Archienus said:
It completely surprised me, and I had no idea what to say at the time. I feel stupid now for not standing up for my dog. This was a vet at another office that we don't regularly go to, and I won't be going back. She was wrong and I was wrong for not calling her on it. I wouldn't let a pediatrician smack my kid, so why did I let her smack my dog?
I think you have answered your own question there. You will get better results with positive reinforcement than smacking your puppy. As kaytris said, sign up with a good obedience school. It will do you both wonders and you'll be amazed at the difference learning how to teach your puppy properly really makes to your progress with manners.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
i'd go smack the **** out of that vet. Sounds like your pup is normal. Get to obedience and get a new vet.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
kaytris said
I'd alpha roll the vet.

Seriously, no, it's not appropriate for a vet (or anyone) to discipline someone else's puppy without permission.

Start looking for a new vet, and if you haven't already, sign up for a positive-reinforcement based puppy kindergarten.
100% AGREE

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dani said:
i'd go smack the **** out of that vet. Sounds like your pup is normal. Get to obedience and get a new vet.
She's not my regular vet; I took Archie there because of what appears to be a lump on his ear from a tick bite. I won't be going back there, and I feel I need to let our regular vet know how he was treated. I agree that Archie is very normal and yes, we are in a local class once a week.

Thanks for the feedback - I feel sorry for her dogs and horses. Sad.

Kathleen

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Archienus said:
kaytris said:
Just the general jumping up on adults and being kind of bitey. I know he's still a puppy, yet I was wondering if it's common to have this going on at this age. I don't understand why a vet (she's not our regular vet) would whack him on the jaw. I thought it was completely WRONG yet it wasn't hard, and it seemed to get his attention. I just have never had a vet do that. My gut feeling is that she's really old school. I know that labs can be challenging, but I don't think it's right or kind to smack him because it teaches him nothing, except to fear us.
If a vet hits my dog in the jaw, i hit the vet in the jaw, and trust me, he will notice that ;)

Hmm, jumping into people, you can perfectly train that, evry time she wants to jump up, put youre knee up (you dont have to hit her with youre knee to hurt her!). In this way you can point her in any direction you want ;)

Btw, putting fear in a dog is easy as it could be, but getting the fear out of the dog .. thats a whole other type of sport, thats why i never let people smack my dog, even if she's doing 'things' wrong ;)

And you may defend youre dog, she's actually a member of youre family ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
We almost always eat first. He is fed after my husband and I are through andc I have taught Jeb to wait until I release him before he can eat. The other thing you can do is to make him wait while you go out the door first when heading out for a walk. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
jebsmama said:
We almost always eat first. He is fed after my husband and I are through andc I have taught Jeb to wait until I release him before he can eat. The other thing you can do is to make him wait while you go out the door first when heading out for a walk. Hope this helps.
These might be nice little self control exercises for your dog, but are really not necessary for reinforcement of a vertical relationship.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
jebsmama said:
Over here she always eats first, and then i've start eating .. And never issued a 'Alpha-dog' problem :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Milly eats at 7pm regardless of whether we have eaten or not. I don't think Milly eating before us = our dog getting aggressive.
:crazy:

The only thing my dog has voluntarily barked her head off at with raised hackles was a ceiling fan that caught her by surprise LOL. (I'm sure her eating schedule didn't influence that scenario either)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts