Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this done on their dog? Blood test or skin patch test? Did you successfully find the allergy problem? What about allergy shots? effective? What are the costs for these items?

Also the skin patch test looks so nasty, does the hair grow back well?

We believe our dog has allergy issues. She has had intermittent skin spot issues since last summer. Since about February she has had continual red spots on her belly area. They look like pimples and get varying intensities of red. A few weeks back they really flared and a couple spots looked almost infected so we took her in again. Regular vet gave us bunch of options and after discussion we decided to try a round of steroids to see what would happen. Within 48 hours the spots were gone and skin started to heal. We have since worked on weaning her off steroids. As we started to wean her off the steroids vet is having us give her 3v caps with benadryl. Today is the last dose of steroids and the spots are starting to re-appear :(

We've also seen a holistic vet and tried some natural allergy remedies, switched foods, etc. Currently she is on Venison/SweetPotato LID.

Has anyone had to keep their dog on steroids long term(how long)? Do they get more used to the steroids and level off with their extreme water drinking/urination after they have been on them a while?

I guess I'm just feeling disappointed today to see the spots return and know we are sort of back at square one. Any suggestions or encouragement would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Sounds like exactly what Abbey had. My vet diagnosed it as puppy acne, but I've never really gotten it to go away.

It was REALLY bad, red, scabby, itchy and Abbey licked it all the time. She was on steroids at one point, and the vet also prescribed a medicated shampoo for her belly, but that made it worse.

Since she's been on the grain-free food, there haven't really been any bad flare-ups. I just make sure to dry off her belly after she gets wet. I suspect that she might be allergic to red meat, so since she's been on this particular food, there haven't been much.

I guess it's just a wait-and-see type game with her...!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just feel so lost as to what to try next. I keep hoping she just outgrows it or we find the magic cure.

It is nice to know I'm not the only that has been frustrated by skin issues, not that I wish it on anyone.

Piper gets acne on her chin/muzzle sometimes too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rudder had many skin/ear issues between the age of 3-6 months and before we went through with any allergy testing my vet suggested that I make a list of exactly what was in every food item that I fed her - food, treats, etc. We then looked at the common ingredients and I did alot of research into the top 5 allergies for dogs and started eliminating ingredients. What the common ingredient for Rudder was chicken. Sure enough within a month or so of me taking Rudder to a totally poultry free diet, she has not had a single skin/ear issue. We feed both of our labs Wellness. I figured I would go that route first because the next was the skin/blood testing and I wanted to run out all my other options first before putting her through that. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Poor Beary Girl

Had horrible allergies, that didnt start till she was 2.
We tried many food switches, steroids, benadryl, etc.
Finally bit the bullett and took her to a derm vet and
she had the blood testing, was allergice to many trees,
grasses, ragweed, and dust mites !
I think the tests were around $200, but that was many
years ago.
Then we started with the desensitization shots, and it
took a while, but it definitely worked !
Was well worth the money. I think the vials cost around
$80 and lasted quite a while once she got to just monthly
maintenance shots.
Hope this helps !

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Mitzi had the skin test but her hair grew back fine. She was sensitive to dust mites only and didn't get the shots. A friend has a golden who was allergic to everything and gets shots. The main problem is that it takes some time to get the right doses, but after it was right, friend said it was well worth it.
It will be worth the trip to take your dog to be evaluated by a vet dermatologist.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to ask, have you tried using witch hazel? My vet recommended it for the next time she has a flare up, but she hasn't had one yet (knock on wood!).
I haven't heard of witch hazel. Silly question is it something to do topical or oral?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts